Marrowstone Amateur Radio Repeater

1 view

kurt steinbach

May 20, 2014, 1:38:59 AM5/20/14
to MIEP Task Force

To all our Task Force members,

The following text went out to two area radio clubs and a growing number of Marrowstone amateur radio operators.  We are trying to round up the hardware we need to take the effort to getting a Marrowstone radio repeater to the next stage.  I am sharing this with you because I feel such a communications capability is of interest to you.  Should you have any suggestions or feel you can help, please let us know.  Also, please consider joining the Nextdoor group MI Emergency Radio to contribute to the conversations and receive updates.

Kurt Steinbach

The Marrowstone Island Emergency Radio Committee has heard back on our application for a repeater frequency allocation from the Frequency Coordination Committee.  A frequency has been suggested for us to test.  It appears 440.725 would be a good option.  It is currently shown as an expired low power (7 watts), low elevation (200') system in Olympia.  Since it has expired (in 2011), no co-channel letter is required.  If it is still on the air or they decide to re-coordinate, the Frequency Coordinator suggested it is highly unlikely anyone would notice anything.

Owen Mulkey has been monitoring 440.725 from time to time and heard no traffic.  He has also transmitted and had no responses.  Owen has been doing this with his own equipment from his home on Madrona road, Marrowstone Island.

To meet the requirements of the Frequency Coordination Committee, we will need to build our repeater and test with it.  The following list of equipment will be needed.
  1. Repeater
  2. Controller
  3. Duplexer
  4. Power supply
  5. Antenna
  6. Antenna mast (40 feet single pole galvanize or painted pipe or tubing)
  7. RG-8X Cable (50 or so feet)
  8. Coax connectors
Additionally, we are looking for a small covered cargo trailer in which to set up the repeater.  Any leads on a used trailer would be very helpful.

If anyone has any of the above equipment, our group would greatly appreciate it’s donation to our cause.  However, we are open to negotiating reimbursement if requested.

Thank you,

Kurt Steinbach KG7EKI

Owen Mulkey N0WO