Spring is a bookish time...

Lux Mentis

Mar 22, 2007, 1:12:10 PM3/22/07
to Lux Mentis, Booksellers ~ Newsletter
Hi all and Happy Spring.

Spring is starting out busily and we hope you can join us in some of
the chaos. The next several weeks have three major book events in the
Northeast. The MARIAB Boston Book Fair will be part of Boston Antiques
Weekend (http://www.bostonbookandephemerafair.com/) and is shaping up
to be an amazing show. It will happen over March 31 and April 1 (no
joke) and will effectively be three shows in one: The Boston
Antiquarian Book & Ephemera Fair; The Boston Antiques Show and The
Boston Antique Textile & Vintage Fashion Show. That should cover
enough bases to keep everyone in the family interested.

On April 20 and 21, we will be at the new West Side Loft Book Fair
(http://www.bookfairs.com/carriagehouse.html). This is the new name/
new location of what was the Carriage House Book Fair and is held
"opposite" the ABAA's New York Book Fair (running from the 20th-22nd)
(http://www.sanfordsmith.com/antiquarian_info.html). The space is
going to be much smaller than the Armory, but appears to be elegant,
extremely well lit and will be, we hope, a great success. We will be
experimenting with a new "booth design" sans tables...so if nothing
else, come visit to mock our monumental failure...or revel in our
clever design. Please let me know if you might join us at the Loft as
I have a reasonable number of free passes and would be happy to send
them out to all.

In the news department, I have it on good authority that the next
issue of Fine Books and Collections (http://
www.finebooksmagazine.com/) will include Lux Mentis in several
locations. In addition to our usual ad and item profile, one of our
items has been included in the profile they are doing on the new West
Side Loft Book Fair and our recent catalogue of Illustrated and
Illustrated Juvenilia will be included in their New Catalogues
section. I understand there will also be their usual wonderful
articles as well.

Finally, we have committed to be a sponsor of Fine Books' Collegiate
Book-Collecting Championship and have joined the Board of the program.
The awards ceremony for this year will be held in conjunction with the
FABS (http://www.fabsbooks.org/) meeting in Washington, DC. I was
extremely honored to be asked to join this program and look forward to
being involved in the future. I absolutely believe the continued
success and growth of the book world rests squarely with emerging
collectors...with getting young people engaged and passionate about
books and bibliophilia. On a personal note, I am also pleased to
announce that we will be organizing the first-ever Maine Collegiate
Book-Collecting Competition, with the involvement and support of most
of Maine's colleges and universities. More on this is surely to
follow.

I hope this finds you all well and happy. Please let me know if there
is any spring reading I can assist you in securing. Also, and of
course, let me know if you will be coming to either or both of the
upcoming fairs and if there is anything you would like me to be
certain to bring.

Warmest Regards,
/ijk
--