News, New Arrivals and Upcoming Shows...

LuxMentis

Mar 28, 2008, 9:28:05 PM3/28/08
to Lux Mentis, Booksellers ~ Newsletter
It has been a remarkable New Year. By St. Patrick's Day, we had
attended five book fairs (three in or around New York, San Francisco
and St. Petersburg, FL)...a wild schedule for us. In the next two
weeks, we will do shows in New York and Boston (see below). It has
been fun...tiring and slightly crazed...but fun.

Our "big announcement" is that Lux Mentis was unanimously inducted
into the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA at the
February meeting and, by extension, to the International League of
Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). We are very pleased and proud, as it
has been a goal since we first began. We are honored to join the
finest collection of professional book dealers in the world and will
do all we can to further the missions of both organizations.

We have had some truly amazing material arrive in the first few months
of ranging from early printed material to some exceptional art
bindings to a lovely copy of a production script of O'Neill's, Strange
Interlude, inscribed by O'Neill to a noted NY financier and a first
edition of Elliot's, Waste Land with remarkable marginalia in the hand
of Charles B. Driscoll, noted scholar on pirates and piracy. We have
also recently acquire the a copy of the first book printed in English
on the art, technique and technology of printing, Moxon's, Mechanick
Excercises. This is, it appears, one of three copies not already
institutionalized...and one of those is at the Wormsley Library, so it
is really one of two copies in private hands. I can not tell you how
wonderful it is to have this work in my hands...though my wife had to
talk me out of sleeping with it under my pillow.

As mentioned, our upcoming shows are:
West Side Antiquarian Book & Ephemera Fair - Hunter College (2 blocks
from ABAA Fair)
Friday April 4th, 8am-8pm and Saturday April 5th, 8am-4pm
http://www.bookfairs.com/WestSideAntiquarianBookEphemera.html
[This is the shadow show to the ABAA Fair...next year, with luck, we
will be there:
http://www.sanfordsmith.com/antiquarian_info.html]

Boston Antiques Weekend [MARIAB Antiquarian Book Fair]
Seaport World Trade Center, Boston, MA, April 12-13
http://www.bostonantiquesweekend.com/

We then have a nice summer break to recover...I hope. However, please
mark your calendars for fall:
Baltimore Summer Antiques Show - Baltimore, MD - April 28-31
http://www.baltimoresummerantiques.com/Default_main.asp

ABAA Boston International Antiquarian Book Fair - Nov. 14-16
[This should be our first ABAA show, we are hoping to do something
special for it, more to follow]
http://www.bostonbookfair.com/

There is likely to be a new fair in Portland, ME this fall...more on
this as news presents itself.

As always, if there is anything you would like me to bring to a given
show, please do not hesitate to ask. If you can't wait until a show,
please touching base as the mood strikes you. Until then,

Warm regards,
/ijk
--
Ian J. Kahn