Fall shows, News and a quick update...

Lux Mentis

Aug 16, 2007, 7:41:17 PM8/16/07
to Lux Mentis, Booksellers ~ Newsletter
Hello everyone,

We hope the summer has been great fun and you have found the time to
get some good summer reading completed.

I wanted to touch base, first and foremost, to let you know what our
fall show schedule was going to be. We will be attending four fairs
this fall, starting with the Baltimore Summer Antique/Antiquarian Book
Fair (http://tinyurl.com/2jm2mj). This fair is one of the largest
annual antique/fine art/rare book events and runs from Aug. 30 through
Sept. 2. In addition to the fair, there will be a series of lectures
on various topic and I was quite flattered to be asked to present the
one for book collecting. My session is titled, "Collecting Your
Passion: Adventures in Book Collecting" and will be held on Sunday at
1pm. It should, if nothing else, be entertaining...please do not bring
rotting fruit.

We will next be at the Seattle Antiquarian Book and Book Arts Show in
Seattle, WA (http://tinyurl.com/2y489u) (Oct. 13-14). This will be our
first show on the west coast and we are very excited to be attending.
This event coincides with The Book Club of Washington's annual dinner,
at which Fine Books and Collections Magazine will be presenting the
awards for the 2007 Collegiate Book Collecting Championship. As I've
mentioned before, we are a sponsor of this competition and are very
excited to attend the award ceremony. The quality of this year's
applicants were truly remarkable.

Following Seattle, we will be back on the east coast for MARIAB's
Pioneer Valley Antiquarian Book Fair (http://tinyurl.com/yvh2q9)
(North Hampton, Oct. 21) and the Boston Book, Print and Ephemera show
(http://tinyurl.com/yr5umy) on Nov. 17 (opposite the ABAA's Boston
fair). Both these fairs are great fun and well worth the journey if it
is possible to attend. This is doubly so for the Boston fair, where
the pair of shows offers one of the great annual book weekends for
bibliophiles.

Chaos reigned supreme here this summer. We have had several wonderful
collections arrive; guaranteeing any time not spent doing house
projects or the like was spent cataloguing books. Chief among them was
a very large auction purchase of architecture titles from the estate
of noted architect and writer, J. Sadler. Additionally, we have had
some uncommon early S. Johnson (and Boswell) material arrive and a
very interesting history of Maine collection.

As if that were not enough to keep us busy, I have been working on a
soon-to-be-issued monograph catalogue of the book art work of Crystal
Cawley (see, e.g. http://crystalcawley.com/). Her work is wonderfully
creative, brilliantly designed and exceptionally executed. The
catalogue will be comprised entirely of her one-of-a-kind works, each
a unique edition/piece. We are very honored to be representing her and
this lovely body of work.

As always, if you would like passes to any of our shows, let me know
and I'll see what I can arrange. More importantly, if there is
anything I can bring to a show for your amusement and edification,
please let me know so it can be packed away. We hope to see you at one
or more in the next few months.

Thank you, as always, for your consideration. Please do not hesitate
to contact me if and when I might be of assistance regarding any
bookish matter.

Warm regards,
/ijk
--