FW: Dave Springett Xi Series 1

Stewart Smith

Oct 8, 2012, 10:29:37 AM10/8/12
to lotus-...@googlegroups.com

 Dear Mr Boxstrom
One of our members has raised with me the misrepresentation which has occoured regarding the reported sale of the Lotus Eleven previously belonging to David Springett.
This car clearly has no known chassis number.
 This was acknowledged by Mr Springett in e-mail correspondence prior to you advertising the car.
The claim that it is Chassis Number 189 not only is false , but it offends the owner of the true  189 Eleven which has continuous history and the original Lotus Chassis Plate.
What was written about the car are my  words as Eleven Registrar , but to these have been added  that "many Elevens have dual claim to a chassis number".
This is clearly unture .With all of the 240 plus cars Registered with the Historic Lotus Register , no two original Elevens claim the same chassis number. The only exception are a couple of  Replicas making blatantly false claims.
I was friendly with Dave Springett when he used "189" as a convenient number for a UK road document over 30 years ago, but he was of course well aware that this was another cars` number.
In the light of some recent court cases where Elevens have been misrepresented upon their sale where the court costs in one instance exceeding the value of the car, I would seriously advise you as follows:

You should publically withdraw you claim that the Eleven is anything to do with chassis 189 [and the grossly misleading history linking it to the famous  first owner of the real Eleven189] and also inform the purchaser to cover yourself from litigation.

Perhaps you would be kind enough to just acknowledge receipt of this message.

Yours Sincerely
Victor Thomas
Lotus Eleven Registrar

Copy to: Google Lotus History Group