Lotus Eleven LeMans Correct colors

AlfaMale164S

Apr 26, 2012, 11:49:11 AM4/26/12
to Lotus History
At vintage races and online, I see a number of very interesting colors
on Lotus Elevens. Is there any definitive color these cars came in
originally? I assume the Team Lotus cars were British Racing Green
but did they use the dark or slightly more medium version of BRG.
(I've seen both on cars with Team Lotus Livery.) When they sold to
privateers or the general public, did they deliver them as aluminum or
paint the cars, and if painted what colors would they have provided?
(Red? Dk Blue? Med Blue? Burgundy? Yellow? Grey? White? I've seen
all of these colors but they may not be original.)

Glenn Stephens

May 3, 2012, 2:08:05 PM5/3/12
to Lotus History
My understanding is that Jay Cunningham, the west coast US importer,
ran his team cars in red.

I have no idea who painted them.

Spit...@aol.com

May 3, 2012, 2:19:45 PM5/3/12
to lotus-...@googlegroups.com
Cunningham was off to good start with factory 11s-

"Two of the four Lotus Eleven team cars on race day. Car #59 was driven by Colin Chapman and Joe Sheppard. Car #60 was driven by Jay Chamberlain and Ignacio Lozano. The Chapman car finished 11th and first in class. The other car did not finish. Photo by Dave Nicholas.

http://www.sportscardigest.com/1957-sebring-12-hour-grand-prix-race-profile/4/

Chris Tchorznicki

May 3, 2012, 2:56:34 PM5/3/12
to lotus-...@googlegroups.com

I think Glen means Jay Chamberlain. Mine has been white with blue bra & tail, originally blue was black, since 1957.

chris

Glenn Stephens

May 4, 2012, 9:27:40 AM5/4/12
to Lotus History