Wording for Edits to TF report

Steven Miller

Oct 26, 2010, 5:42:18 PM10/26/10
to longfello...@googlegroups.com
The final report correctly states that while the Task Force supported moving out the wall, it was only with the caveat that the extra space be primarily used to expand the space for walking and bicycling rather than expand the number or size of the traffic lanes -- and that there be a full 4(f) and 106 review.

What the report leaves out is the explicit statement that the reviews be based on a MassDOT commitment to move the Storrow exit ramps, build the new pedestrian bridge, and implement the other proposed off-bridge mitigations.  It also leaves out the fact that the Task Force suggested that DOT explore expanding the wall even more than 12 feet in order to provide the best possible pedestrian and bicycling facilities.  Finally, it should be made clear that there was no general support among Task Force members for moving the wall if the mitigation measures are not committed to by MassDOT -- with some members believing that without such a commitment, not moving the wall and reducing the "release" into Charles Circle to two lanes would provide the best opportunity for pedestrian and cycling facilities.

Steve

Steven E. Miller
Executive Director, Healthy Weight Initiative, HSPH, Dept. of Nutrition
Board of Directors, LivableStreets Alliance
cell:  617-686-1050
Blog:  "Transportation, Health, and Livable Communities" -- http://blog.livablestreets.info/

Oct 27, 2010, 12:14:53 PM10/27/10
to longfello...@googlegroups.com
If we don't conditionally (as indicated) support moving the wall,  MassDOT's hands are tied and there's no flexibility to resolve sidewalk, travel lane and bicycle lane width's.

Joe Tulimieri