Steam site licenses - who has them?

Christy Caldwell

Jul 16, 2018, 3:16:25 PM7/16/18
to libg...@googlegroups.com

I'd like to talk to anyone who has arranged a site license with Valve for Steam games at your library, academic libraries especially.

We are currently reading the license and talking with Library IT.

Feel free to answer off line or by phone. I can summarize for the group later.

Thank you!!

Christy Caldwell, Research Support Services
University of California Santa Cruz

Mica

Feb 2, 2019, 7:41:36 AM2/2/19
to libg...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christy,

Did you get any replies to this?  A similar question has been asked with no answers as yet, in the League of Librarian gamers Facebook Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/LeagueOfLibrarianGamers/permalink/2281010851938503/

Cheers.

Christy Caldwell

Feb 2, 2019, 11:06:05 AM2/2/19
to libg...@googlegroups.com
Nope. Crickets, unfortunately. The license has some problematic sections and Valve isn’t interested in negotiating the terms. Indemnification, NDA, and instant physical  access to sites for inspection purposes are among the sticking points.

Thanks for the heads up about the Facebook group. I’ll join.

Chad Haefele

Feb 2, 2019, 11:57:23 AM2/2/19
to libg...@googlegroups.com
At UNC Chapel Hill we investigated it, but if I remember right we would have to run our own server to manage things. Along with lots of other issues, that was a non-starter. This was about two years ago, but at that point I couldn't find any libraries who'd signed up. Most didn't even know it existed.

-Chad

Matthew Murray

Feb 4, 2019, 11:40:24 AM2/4/19
to libg...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone have a way to contact Steam to ask about this?

Thanks,
Matthew
Twitter: @MidniteLibrary

MLIS 2015, School of Library, Archival & Information Studies (SLAIS), UBC

Blogs and other projects: thematthewmurray.weebly.com

*I'm reading
Soviet Bus Stops
by Christopher Herwig
. What are you reading?

Join the Readers' Advisory for Librarians Facebook group!
Listen to the Book Club for Masochists podcast!