Videos of performances, Richard Elliott preludes, and other questions

Janene

May 10, 2016, 7:45:06 PM5/10/16
to LearningOrgan

I have a few different questions.

(1)  I am looking for videos of organ performances that can help me study techniques.  I really liked watching Richard Elliott's Christmas solo of "Go, Tell It On the Mountain," where I could watch his feet to see effective toe-heel technique, as well as playing chords with one foot, his use of the expression pedals, hand and arm positioning, use of presets, and other things I'm not thinking of right now.  Are there other videos or youtube channels you would recommend?  I found some good videos on the "Organ Solos" playlist for the Tabernacle Choir, but a number of those videos spend half the time showing the organ pipes or video of nature rather than the organist, and I'm wondering if there are other resources I should consider.

(2)  I am looking for simple preludes in a similar style to Richard Elliott's "Duo on Lasst uns erfreuen" (All Creatures of Our God and King) and "Prelude on Deliverance" (Jesus, Once of Humble Birth).  Those preludes were both included in the packet for the Organ Workshop put on by BYU's School of Music, and were excerpts from OrganTutor 101.  Do you know where I could find other preludes along those lines?  Are there more included in the OrganTutor 101 Workbook?

(3)  One of the common topics in this groups is suggested registration.  I realize that each organ is different, but is there a resource that gives general registration suggestions for hymns?  [For example, in "Nearer, My God, to Thee," it would suggest a quieter registration for the first two phrases of the 2nd verse, and then return to the original registration after "My rest a stone," and then it would suggest a fuller registration for the final verse.]  I would find that really helpful.

As some background, I am self-taught at piano (I learned my music theory by studying violin), and I would say I'm a little beyond "Easy Piano" level, and I can play a handful of hymns on the piano from the Hymn book.  I started learning the organ after attending the Organ Workshop in San Diego put on by BYU last June.  I'm working on the simplified hymns from the New LDS Organist packet, some pieces from "Organ Preludes on Children's Hymns" by Douglas Bush, and a few of the preludes from Bach 8 Preludes and Fugues (as well as some etudes I found to focus in on pedal technique, finger dexterity, etc.).  I'm not in a music calling in my ward.

Janene