Commentary on recorded hymns - Allen LD-34

Max Walker

Jun 16, 2015, 6:51:47 PM6/16/15
to learni...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks -

I would be interested in your input about the organ techniques reflected in the recorded hymns on the Allen LD-34. I've listened to several. Here's what I observe:

I notice that the hymn technique is generally a bit more detached than I might expect, especially in the pedal. Now, I still have not mastered a proper hymn articulation for inner parts, and I suspect that organ's output is a better technique. I also like how the tempo varies slightly in hymn phrases, like eighth notes in the pedal. They hymns usually also have good breathing points between phrases.

I'm interested in how more experienced organists judge the "playing" of the organ's recorded hymns.

For those interested, other features that these hymns have include the following:
  • Variation of registration changes, sometimes even between verses and within verses.
  • Automatically opens the expression pedal all the way
  • Can have an introduction played
  • Control of each verse's start
  • Tempo control
  • Ability to change registration during a verse to suit your own preference / interpretation
  • Ability to prescribe the number of verses played.
FWIW, the recorded preludes are actually rather nice, IMO. I actually used the recorded preludes for prelude last week. It was part of my effort to show off the new organ's ability for the congregation. Only a few people actually noticed that no one was playing. The preludes vary in registration and in volume (through registration). It is effective, I believe, for new organists to listen to how the organ plays preludes as a model for one's own prelude playing.