Transposition

Mike Olson

Aug 20, 2014, 2:57:15 PM8/20/14
to learni...@googlegroups.com
A question for some of those out there who are more knowledgeable than I...

Recently, I have spent some practice time working on transpositions, particularly by relatively small intervals.

I wondered - Is there anyone who regularly transposes hymns (with or without using the transposer gadget) to a lower key for the benefit of their ward's voices? If so, by how much? How effective has it been?

In one of my wards, some men seem to routinely sing the melody at 32' (or two octaves below the notated pitch.)

Thanks,

Mike (Raleigh, NC)

Sunnyside Vet Clinic

Aug 20, 2014, 6:07:08 PM8/20/14
to learni...@googlegroups.com
I'm not the smartest kid on the block, but I know him and he taught me to turn the transposition knob down three clicks = a minor third when playing for the priesthood.  This seems to be about right, nobody ever knows you did it, and it helps them sing out.

Another Mike
Shelley, ID

Mike Olson

Oct 16, 2014, 9:53:14 AM10/16/14
to learni...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!

Paul Slaughter

Oct 22, 2014, 4:40:22 PM10/22/14
to learni...@googlegroups.com
Just had another thought about transposition: with the online hymnal on lds.org/music you can transpose the hymns to any key you want.  So, if you're like me, and are not very good at transposing, it's an easy way to lower the hymns by any interval you want for Priesthood Meetings.  (Sadly, we have Priesthood opening exercises in the old High Council room, as our Ward meets first in a building with three Wards - won't get to use the chapel for Priesthood again until 2016!)

Paul Slaughter