Re: [LearningOrgan] Digest for learningorgan@googlegroups.com - 4 updates in 1 topic

Lori Gardner

Apr 13, 2017, 4:33:14 PM4/13/17
to learni...@googlegroups.com
I absolutely agree with the handbook. I cringe when I hear them played together. Yet I'm always asked to play this way for holidays. What I've done is volley back and forth between organ and piano with both playing simultaneously only to tie it altogether. If you get a nice arrangement, you can modify it doing this. Just a thought. Best wishes, Lori

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 13, 2017, at 11:07 AM, learni...@googlegroups.com wrote:

Sherrie Heywood <sherrie...@comcast.net>: Apr 10 01:19PM -0700

I would love any piano/organ duets you are willing to share as well. I am
asked to play year round at most holidays. Working on Easter right now,
but would love anything you have to share! Thank you so very much!
sherrie...@comcast.net

On Saturday, July 7, 2007 at 10:56:03 PM UTC-7, Rachel wrote:
BCWB...@aol.com: Apr 11 07:59PM -0400

The Handbook #2 is Music section 14.9.3 discourages the use of the piano
and the organ simultaneously. It does say it can be done "occasionally".
In many cases, the organ and the piano are not tuned to the same
pitches. Organs are tuned to "A 440", but pianos are not. Just because
they share the same stand, about the only thing the two share is a keyboard.

It does sound like those who are employing these duets are using them for
"holiday" or special season occasions, which does fit the handbook
description. If the piano is adding "color", it might work, if the instruments are
in tune with one another, but, if they are doubling one another, it adds
nothing.

I also have it on good authority that the Church Music Committee does not
endorse piano and organ duets.

Beth Ballantyne

In a message dated 4/11/2017 4:24:51 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
sherrie...@comcast.net writes:

I would love any piano/organ duets you are willing to share as well. I am
asked to play year round at most holidays. Working on Easter right now,
but would love anything you have to share! Thank you so very much!
sherrie...@comcast.net

On Saturday, July 7, 2007 at 10:56:03 PM UTC-7, Rachel wrote:
Hello,
Several years ago I was visiting a church where they played an
embellished piano arrangement with the regular organ hymn for
Christmas music.
I loved it so much that I have started doing that for Christmas songs
and have come up with my own arrangements. I have been able to find a
few online as well. (I wish I would have asked the pianist when I saw
her play the first time, but I didn't and I missed my chance!)
Then I was asked to do this again for the 4th of July - for The Star-
Spangled Banner, America the Beautiful, My Country, 'Tis of Thee, and
The Battle Hymn of the Republic.
Does anyone else do this? If so, were do you get your arrangements?
(They don't have to be Christmas or patriotic, they can be any hymns.)
Also - since I have just created piano accompaniments for the above
patriotic songs, if anyone would like a copy, please let me know and
I'm happy to share them. They are for the LDS Hymnal. The Star-
Spangled Banner was lowered to the key of G to make it easier for the
organist, who is a beginner and doesn't like 4 flats, but I can
transpose it back very easily. Just let me know which key you want.
It sounds great, and people love singing when we do this. We
definitely get a more enthusiastic participation.
Have a great day!
Rachel

Sorry, but since when are pianos not tuned to 440?

Sent from my iPhone

BCWB...@aol.com: Apr 12 02:58PM -0400

Dear Eric, Only a portion of a piano's strings are tuned to an attempt at A
440. Depending on individual tuners, the use of the Railsback Curve is
used to help the upper and lower portions of the keyboard be in tune with the
middle portion. Also, as the hammer hits the 3 strings of each note, the
individual strings don't vibrate at the same frequencies.

I'm guessing that an electronic organ and an electronic piano might have a
better chance of harmonizing with one another, depending on their
individual tuning. However, we have an acoustic piano and a pipe organ in each of
the buildings in our stake, so, the chances of them having matching
harmonics is thereby lessened.
Pipe organs involve a column of air, so, are tuned to A 440 in an entirely
different way.

My understanding is that the use of organ and piano duets was perhaps more
popularly used in the past.
However, many, including those who compiled the contents of the Church
Handbook of Instructions, and, the Church Music Committee members wish to
discourage and limit this practice, now. Personally, I think it is tacky, and,
adds nothing to a worship service.

Beth Ballantyne

In a message dated 4/11/2017 6:30:36 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
ericm...@gmail.com writes:

Sorry, but since when are pianos not tuned to 440?

Sent from my iPhone