re new organs

CYF...@aol.com

May 28, 2015, 1:32:26 PM5/28/15
to learni...@googlegroups.com
Several years ago we, too, got two new organs in our stake.  And the factory presets were on #15 and #16.  In order to help the new, and even seasoned, organists, I put the hymn presets on Memory #1, which is the default setting when the organ is turned on.  I also posted a note to that effect on the organ.  It has saved a lot of frantic calls, especially for organists who are playing the instrument for the first time, such as a funeral, fireside, etc.

Carole

Max Walker

May 28, 2015, 6:05:05 PM5/28/15
to learni...@googlegroups.com
I considered the same, Carole, but then I got tired. :-)  I'm going to try leaving it as it is for organists to learn how to use the roller dial. But for the guest organists, I have put a little card on the shoulder by the on switch indicating where the congregational presets are. Maybe that'll help raise the organists' skills a bit without leaving them stranded.

Still, neither of our solutions are quite enough. Because the former organ had only 7 pistons, no toe studs, and only 2 memory banks (only I knew of the second one), our organists haven't known what to do with General vs Divisional pistons, and one of them told me that this really threw her when she played at the stake center. She was using Divisional pistons and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working right!

Nothing replaces even a very a basic knowledge of the instrument that your'e responsible for playing. That applies even if you're going to use the Hymn Player as a non-musician responsible for the organ. You still have to know how to access that feature, set tempo, etc., to make effective music.

But if my plan fails, I'll do it your way. I almost did it to start with anyway! Can you tell I'm working hard to justify my laziness?   :-)