Hidden Gems

Scott

Mar 6, 2016, 11:30:09 PM3/6/16
to LearningOrgan
Okay so we've had the LDS hymnal for more than 30 years and there's still some pages I just flip past.  So I'm sure there's some hidden gems out there and would like to hear what lesser known or sung hymns have become your "favorite".  I was thinking along the lines of another Come Thou Font from the prior hymnbook.  But not just that example.  There may be an extended verse of a hymn that is often overlooked as well.  It could be either the tune or the text that speaks to you.  Or maybe there's a free accompaniment that really makes the hymn shine in your opinion.  I would love to hear about them.  Often I feel like I get into a rut with the hymns and a few times have tried the "less familiar" only to have a not so good experience in either my playing or the congregation's singing.  Please share your thoughts on the gems you have found and what makes them special.

Thanks

Joshua Tolley

Mar 6, 2016, 11:47:19 PM3/6/16
to learni...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Mar 06, 2016 at 08:30:09PM -0800, Scott wrote:
> Okay so we've had the LDS hymnal for more than 30 years and there's still
> some pages I just flip past. So I'm sure there's some hidden gems out
> there and would like to hear what lesser known or sung hymns have become
> your "favorite".

I'm not sure I've ever sung it as a congregation, but I go for #162, "Lord, We
Come Before Thee Now". It's awfully weird to have a hymn in a minor key, and I
just like that one.

-- Josh

AH Kimball

Mar 7, 2016, 9:16:39 AM3/7/16
to learni...@googlegroups.com
I've recently come across "Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me," which I had heard of before, but I don't know if I'd ever sung it before. I really love the words and the music; it just seems very sincere and powerful.
--Heather Kimball

AH Kimball

Mar 7, 2016, 9:21:04 AM3/7/16
to learni...@googlegroups.com
I wrote entirely the wrong title in that last email. I meant to say, "Jesus, Lover of My Soul." That's the one I've recently discovered and love so much. Sorry.
--Heather

Steve Estes

Mar 7, 2016, 11:54:05 AM3/7/16
to LearningOrgan
That's an old Protestant standard, text by John Wesley's brother Charles.  It used to be very popular.  The 1948/50 hymnal has three versions: #259 for Choir (higher key), #311 for Men's Chorus, and #84 to the more common tune MARTYN.