Need advice for adjusting organ bench - long legs

Jeffrey S

Apr 9, 2018, 6:51:30 PM4/9/18
to LearningOrgan
Hello, all:

I have a Rodgers 558 Classic Organ at home and have a problem with bench height.  According to standard positioning of bench, legs should be at about a 90 degree angle and feet just touching the pedals (AGO pedalboard).  My legs are especially long, so when I relax my legs, I'm actually pressing down on the pedals.  It makes for very uncomfortable playing especially with classical music that demands lots of pedaling.
I don't want to invest in an adjustable organ bench, so is it better to add a pad to the top of the bench, or add wood underneath?  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated - currently working on a Bach major work and frustrated with pedaling.  BTW, I also have professional organ shoes, so that helps a bit with the heels.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Jeffrey S.

MusicalMom

Apr 9, 2018, 8:53:02 PM4/9/18
to LearningOrgan
How much higher do you need it? I recommend wood blocks under the legs.

"Take a music bath once or twice a week for a few seasons.  You will find it is to the soul what a water bath is to the body."
Oliver Wendell Holmes