Free Free Accompaniments Online

Jennifer M.

Oct 17, 2006, 5:57:14 PM10/17/06
to LearningOrgan
I found this site, and it has free accompaniments for these LDS Hymns:

265: http://www.cfboyd.com/page72.html
90: http://www.cfboyd.com/page74.html
199: http://www.cfboyd.com/page84.html
119: http://www.cfboyd.com/page96.html

And the primary song, "Tell Me the Stories of Jesus":
http://www.cfboyd.com/page97.html

I was excited to finally hear a free accompaniment. If you know of any
other sources, I'd love to check them out!

Liz Nelson

Oct 17, 2006, 6:46:27 PM10/17/06
to Learni...@googlegroups.com
Wow, thanks for the great link.  This is terrific!

Liz

Dan Gawthrop

Oct 17, 2006, 7:47:38 PM10/17/06
to Learni...@googlegroups.com

Listers:

I hadn't realized that there would me so much interest in free
accompaniments but since some members have asked for more, I am going to
attach several of my own to this posting.

These vary in difficulty but have all been tried and tested successfully
in my own ward/stake meetings. Some of you may have seen some of these
before--please excuse my dragging them out again!

Best wishes,

Dan Gawthrop
Ward Organist
Shenandoah Valley Ward,
Winchester, Virginia Stake

Come, Come Ye Saints.pdf
Each Life That Touches Ours for Good.pdf
Jesus Once of Humble Birth.pdf
Praise to the Man.pdf
Redeemer of Israel.pdf
Sweet Hour of Prayer.pdf

Robert G. Condie

Oct 17, 2006, 10:37:57 PM10/17/06
to Learni...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your significant contributions!

> > <Come, Come Ye Saints.pdf>
> <Each Life That Touches Ours for Good.pdf>
> <Jesus Once of Humble Birth.pdf>
> <Praise to the Man.pdf>
> <Redeemer of Israel.pdf>
> <Sweet Hour of Prayer.pdf>

Michael & Lorinda LeFevre

Oct 17, 2006, 10:39:55 PM10/17/06
to Learni...@googlegroups.com
Wow! That is very generous. Thank you.

Lorinda LeFevre

jeanine Lepinski

Oct 17, 2006, 11:07:40 PM10/17/06
to Learni...@googlegroups.com

Thank you Dan for your free accompaniments.  Don't ever apologize for "dragging out beautiful music !"  Many of us who haven't been around for very long really appreciate when you do.  Otherwise we may not get this wonderful opportunity.  Thanks again,

Jeanine Lepinski

From:  Dan Gawthrop <Gawt...@DunstanHouse.com>

To:  Learni...@googlegroups.com
Subject:  [LearningOrgan] LDS Free Accompaniments
Date:  Tue, 17 Oct 2006 19:47:38 -0400

><< Come,ComeYeSaints.pdf >>

><< EachLifeThatTouchesOursforGood.pdf >>

><< JesusOnceofHumbleBirth.pdf >>

><< PraisetotheMan.pdf >>

><< RedeemerofIsrael.pdf >>

><< SweetHourofPrayer.pdf >>

Jennifer M.

Oct 18, 2006, 10:29:50 AM10/18/06
to LearningOrgan
Thank you so much! Free music is always welcome. :)

Does anyone know of any free Christmas or Thanksgiving free
accompaniments?

Liz Forsyth

Oct 18, 2006, 10:35:52 AM10/18/06
to LearningOrgan
Many years ago I prepared a handout on free accompaniments for LDS
hymns for a regional church music workshop in Fremont, CA. It lists
over 70 LDS hymns by tune names and the corresponding free
accompaniments found in several different collections. I am happy to
share that with anyone who would like a copy. I can email it as an
attachment. In the intervening thirteen-plus years I have added many
books of free accompaniments to my collection. Three that I use
frequently and would recommend are:

Two Hundred Last Verses, by Noel Rawsthorne, pub.Kevin Mayhew
More Last Verses, by Noel Rawsthorne, pub. Kevin Mayhew
Hymn Accompaniments for Congregational Singing, vol. I and II, by Dan
Gawthrop, pub. H.W. Gray

I'm sure many of you already have these, but for the rest of you,
enjoy!

Liz

Christine Rauckis

Oct 18, 2006, 10:56:05 AM10/18/06
to Learni...@googlegroups.com
Liz - please add me to the list of people who would be very grateful for a copy!
-Chris Rauckis
crau...@gmail.com

On 10/18/06, Liz Forsyth <e_fo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Many years ago I prepared a handout on free accompaniments for LDS
hymns for a regional church music workshop in Fremont, CA.  It lists
over 70 LDS hymns by tune names and the corresponding free
accompaniments found in several different collections.   I am happy to
share that with anyone who would like a copy. I can email it as an
attachment.  In the intervening thirteen-plus years I have added many
books of free accompaniments to my collection.  Three that I use
frequently and would recommend are:

Two Hundred Last Verses, by Noel Rawsthorne, pub.Kevin Mayhew
More Last Verses, by Noel Rawsthorne, pub. Kevin Mayhew
Hymn Accompaniments for Congregational Singing, vol. I and II, by Dan
Gawthrop, pub. H.W . Gray

dc

Oct 18, 2006, 11:26:43 AM10/18/06
to LearningOrgan
For those of you who want some basic information on using free
accompaniments (reharmonizations), there is an information sheet on the
Organ Study at BYU website:
www.organ.byu.edu

Click "LDS Organists and Teachers," and then click "Free
Accompaniments." It is a pdf file, readable if you have the free Adobe
Reader installed.

One key point. Free accompaniments can make a very positive
contribution in a church service, but ONLY if the organist, conductor,
and congregation are very well prepared. A free accompaniment that
calls undue attention to itself, an organist who cannot play it
confidently, a congregation that is not sure what to do, or a number of
other factors can distract instead of contribute to the spirit of
worship. This can lead those in charge to ask that they not be used
again.

Happy practicing!

Don Cook

Dan Gawthrop

Oct 18, 2006, 11:51:17 AM10/18/06
to Learni...@googlegroups.com
jeanine Lepinski wrote:

> Thank you Dan for your free accompaniments. Don't ever apologize for
> "dragging out beautiful music !"

I appreciate this kind comment, along with many others, more than I can
say. If list members will indulge a brief bit of self-promotion (I
promise not to do it too frequently!) I will direct your attention to a
published work of mine which may also be of interest to LDS organists.

I have recently published a set of four trio preludes on LDS hymn tunes.
These are all ideally suited for use in sacrament meetings, and for
those of you who have students they will also serve as teaching pieces
designed to promote independence of hands and feet. The titles included are:

1. The Morning Breaks, 2. With Humble Heart, 3. Come, Come Ye Saints, 4.
As the Dew from Heaven Distilling

You can order FOUR TRIO PRELUDES (pub. Dunstan House, catalog DH0601)
through your regular music retailer. If they're not familiar with
Dunstan House, tell them that DH is distributed to the retail industry
by ECS Publishing in Boston--most everyone in music retail already knows
E.C. Schirmer.

Meanwhile, if you would like to see/hear these preludes, note that .mp3
recordings and partial .pdf scores are available online for free
download. Simply point your browser at:

http://www.DunstanHouse.com

Then click on the CATALOG link (after visiting my charming blog!);

Scroll to the very bottom of the catalog page and you will find the
Organ titles in a group. Click on Four Trio Preludes (or anything else
you would like to see/hear) and that will open a descriptor page. On
that page you will find a brief description, links to both .pdf files of
the score and .mp3 files of performances, and even a button which will
take you directly to music retailer J.W. Pepper with the piece you're
examining already in the "order" window! (Our youngest son is a computer
whiz who set up our web pages with lots of clever things like that!)

More advanced players might also want to have a look at "Like A Fire"
which is a toccata based on "The Spirit of God."

Okay, that's the end of the commercial announcement; thanks for your
kind indulgence. In a few more weeks I'll have one other announcement
for you--a new CD of my organ works recorded by concert organist Mary
Mozelle (Associate Organist at the National Presbyterian Church in
Washington, D.C.) on the MSR Classics label. She recorded these pieces
this past Summer in the gorgeous Gothic chapel of Princeton University
on a wonderful four manual organ by the Noel Mander firm from England.
It's lush, colorful, dramatic and exciting. I earn nothing from the
sales of the CD so I don't feel too guilty about announcing it here--I
just hope some of you will share my excitement! Details to follow soon.

And now back to your regularly scheduled chatting!

Dan Gawthrop

Liz Nelson

Oct 18, 2006, 12:11:56 PM10/18/06
to Learni...@googlegroups.com
Liz, please add me to the list too.  Thanks for sharing these with us.

Liz Nelson

Ikuko Weller

Oct 18, 2006, 1:44:41 PM10/18/06
to LearningOrgan
LIz, please add me on your list, too x too. Your souce will be very
helpful and it will add on to my collection also. I am woking on the
arrangements and hopefully I could submitt to Sonos or some other
publishers soon. I arranged several and used for the Devotionals here
for BYU-I. I hope this attempt will turn out good. Anyway, thanks for
your help.

Ikuko Weller

Matt Bengtzen

Oct 18, 2006, 2:35:06 PM10/18/06
to Learni...@googlegroups.com
I would like a copy of it to.  I would recommend that you send it to the entire group - I'm sure that most of us would love it!
--
Traffic's on a one mile final, Runway 34R cleared for immediate takeoff!

Rod and Cindy

Oct 19, 2006, 12:06:03 AM10/19/06
to Learni...@googlegroups.com
Liz, I would like to be added also.
Cindy
hillr...@comcast.net

Oct 19, 2006, 12:30:59 PM10/19/06
to LearningOrgan
Thanks so much to Dan Gawthrop for sharing your music - it is so
helpful! Thanks for sharing your talents so generously with all of us!

~Kathy Fisher

Kathy Fisher

Oct 19, 2006, 12:33:37 PM10/19/06
to LearningOrgan
Liz, I also would love a copy of your handout with the free
accompaniments - and thanks for sharing with the rest of us!

~Kathy F.

Steve Estes

Oct 19, 2006, 2:50:45 PM10/19/06
to LearningOrgan
Liz,

Please e-mail the list to me, as well. I might not find anything
within my ability, but I will share it with the other organists in my
stake.

Thanks so much,

Steve Estes

Liz Forsyth

Oct 19, 2006, 4:12:31 PM10/19/06
to LearningOrgan
Cathy, Steve, Rod and Cindy, et all,
I need your email addresses so that I can send you the FOA list. It's
too large to post here. Your complete email addresses do not show up
on the chat page. Just email me at e_fo...@yahoo.com Thanks.

Before we leave this topic of free organ accompaniments, I wanted to
share a recent and very positive experience. In preparing for the
evening session of stake conference (Philadelphia Stake) I thought it
might be nice to use a free acc. on the last verse of the closing hymn,
"I Know that My Redeemer Lives." I used Gerald Dick's arrangement in
the old Hymn Harmonizations (published before the 1985 Hymnal), making
sure that I had time to practice with the music director before the
meeting. All I can say was, it was the right arrangement at the right
moment for the right congregation. I could feel the surge in singing
power as we began that final verse. The closing prayer was accompanied
by many sniffles from those that had just sung. Many, many people came
up afterwards and said how the music had touched them as they sang.

Ultimately, I feel that is one important part of our callings as
organists. It is to enhance the text; to give the singer a new
experience with the words that perhaps they have been singing wrotely
and without full understanding the last several times they have sung
it. I certainly do not use free accompaniments in every service that I
play. Frequently, a registration change or subtle phrasing to reflect
the text is all that is needed to draw attention to the poetry. If
only one person in the congregation has an "aha!" experience with the
words they are singing, that's OK, that's great. It's our
responsibility to read through every verse of every hymn........and
then get inspired!

Liz

Kathy Fisher

Oct 20, 2006, 9:52:47 AM10/20/06
to LearningOrgan
Hi Liz,

I'd love your handout - my email address is skfi...@yahoo.com
Thanks so much!!! Appreciate it!

~Kathy Fisher

Matt Bengtzen

Oct 20, 2006, 1:13:51 PM10/20/06
to Learni...@googlegroups.com
Liz:  I would also like your handout, when you have a moment.  You can send it to fodb...@gmail.com

Thanks!

Eric J. McKirdy

Oct 20, 2006, 1:47:53 PM10/20/06
to Learni...@googlegroups.com
I'd like the handout, too, Liz. Thank you.

Eric
er...@ericmckirdy.com

Gary H. Richardson

Oct 20, 2006, 8:58:27 PM10/20/06
to Learni...@googlegroups.com
Liz, Please include me on your list.
Thanks, Gary

Jul 28, 2014, 5:29:11 PM7/28/14
to learni...@googlegroups.com, Learni...@googlegroups.com
I know this is a (by 8 years) late posting (I am taking notes form this blog systematically, but this website has a group of nice free accompaniments you may be interested in: http://ldsorganist.org/tag/Organ_Accompaniment that do not seem to be mentioned yet. Please feel free to share them with others.

Enjoy,

Mike (Raleigh, NC)

Stacy Stuart

Dec 6, 2017, 1:56:21 PM12/6/17
to LearningOrgan
Liz, this is the former Sister Trent as Rogersville Branch Organist I have an organ that has a push button options to play a song with one button push! :)
I've lost contact (again) with you. I no longer have your correct phone number. I need you to contact me back if you can.
Thanks,
Sister Stacy Trent Stuart
PS Please disregard this if you did not meet me while on your  CSJ Mission.

Kerrie Weitzel

Apr 15, 2018, 7:47:01 PM4/15/18
to LearningOrgan
Liz, what a wonderful thing!  I learned about these when I took organ classes, but I thought they were outside my capabilities (I am not a creator), but I would love some that are already made.  Please email them to me kerrie_...@msn.com

babymac

Apr 15, 2018, 10:50:53 PM4/15/18
to LearningOrgan
Dan - I just looked at the link and I'm not seeing the preview or mp3 links. I would love more music, but I am interested in the difficulty level.

babymac

Apr 15, 2018, 10:51:33 PM4/15/18
to LearningOrgan
Liz I would love a copy! lor...@mac.com