Gaelic learning week in South Uist this Easter

Fred Riley

Jan 11, 2010, 6:06:59 AM1/11/10
to Gaelic learners, Learner's Gàidhlig Group, Deirdre MacEachen
Hi a h-uile duine

Folk on both these lists might be interested in a Gaelic learning week
to be held on South Uist this Easter, 5th-10th April, aimed at
intermediate-level learners, organised by Stòras Uibhist
(http://www.storasuibhist.com/). It was announced on the mygaelic.com
newsletter as follows:

"Stòras Uibhist is offering Gaelic learners a place on the perfect
course for anyone who wishes to submerge themselves into Gaelic
culture and language! Get a taste of island life by taking up
residence in Uist for an entire week of Gaelic learning and the chance
to tap into local knowledge and expertise of the language! This
week-long Gaelic immersion course could be a fantastic way for you to
learn some new vocabulary, learn about Gaelic culture, old and new,
and practice the Gaelic you already have."

Further details are online at
http://www.storasuibhist.com/gaelic-week/ including a schedule of the
week's activities, which include dancing, ceilidhs, and a boat trip to
Mingulay, as well as Gaelic lessons, and all for £350 which is decent
value, I think. I've been in touch with the organiser, Deirdre
MacEachen, and she's keen that only Gaelic learners attend as it's
going to be a full immersion week in a lodge, which is a good thing
IMO (though in this case rules me out as I'll be on hols with my GF
that week, and she doesn't 'do' Gaelic). I've spent some days on South
Uist a few years back and it's really quite an evocative place, with
Gaelic as a native language which you can hear spoken in the local
pubs.

Tìoraidh

Fred