use of OL UI components into Silex, OS design software RIA

1 view

lexa

Dec 26, 2010, 6:40:56 PM12/26/10
to Laszlo Developers
Hello OL community!

I am part of the Silex dev team. Like OL dev team, the core team is
part of a company who uses the software for internal projects. Like
OL, Silex is open source, it is about 10 years old, it was first
oriented toward the Flash platform and becomes cross-platform.

But unlike OL, Silex targets designers and not developers. It is a
kind of advanced site builder, a designer friendly publishing
platform. It is much more like a software than a development platform.

The Silex cross platform components architecture seems very very light
compared to OL's. And Silex has a plugins system with hooks like the
one of WordPress, but working in ActionScript2&3, php and javascript.

And here is my question! :)

I believe we could make OL UI components available into Silex. The
Silex part should be very simple according to this article about Silex
components http://community.silexlabs.org/silex/codex/?page_id=139

But concerning OL, I am not so sure. The only constraint is to be able
to have each UI component, e.g. the combo box component in combo.swf
and combo.js. I guess it is possible to wrap each component into a
separate swf/js file?

Let me know if you have any thoughts about this,
Lex.