Farewell, it's been a privilege.

Susan Gleason

Nov 15, 2021, 12:53:16 PM11/15/21
to Core Seattle Greenways Group

Dear SNG friends, partners, and colleagues,

This isn't easy, saying farewell, but after four-plus years on the Seattle Neighborhood Greenways staff, I'm stepping down from my role as Development and Communications Director.

It's been the honor and privilege of a lifetime to serve this dynamic, effective, innovative, and intensely committed organization.

From my first week on the job in August 2017, at the ribbon-cutting for a new signalized crossing at 92nd & Aurora, to my last week at SNG, celebrating the past 10 years of community-led accomplishments and grassroots leadership, I have had the pleasure to learn so much, do so much, and to grow as a person.

It's been a thrilling journey with too many highlights to name, but among them, helping SNG fledge from Seattle Parks Foundation and become its own independent 501c3, working on Seattle's first Home Zones with Robin, Cesar, and Peaches (and Shauna Walgren at SDOT); organizing World Day of Remembrance events (with support from Allison Schwartz and Jim Curtin at SDOT); working on SNG's Racial Equity Plan and workshops (with Gordon, Clara, KL, Brie, Merlin, and many others), organizing Building the Cycling City with board member Mark Ostrow; organizing the first Feast in the Street at El Centro de la Raza; and then moving online for two years of Streets for People (each of these events, with the support of Bob Anderton/Washington Bike Law, a host of remarkable sponsors, and an amazing team of event producers and volunteers); and being, biking, standing, shouting, eating, celebrating, hugging, and playing in the street more times than I can remember.

Along the way, it's been deeply satisfying to see the base of funding support grow for this immensely deserving, accomplished, and ambitious organization; to help SNG's storytelling and communications capacities expand; and to play a role in the groundwork being laid for exciting developments ahead.

To my colleagues, Gordon, Clara, KL, and Valentina — you're all superstars, the best. I've learned and been inspired by each one of you. Gordon, Cathy, the SNG Board, thank you for bringing me on when you did and giving me this extraordinary opportunity to serve my local community!

To the amazing network of SNG activists and volunteers, I have thoroughly enjoyed and treasured meeting everyone of you I've had a chance to along the way.

It's bittersweet to go, but I'm not going far! I'm very excited to share that I'll be starting my new role as Development Manager for Transportation Choices Coalition as of December 1st! So, it's farewell, but not goodbye. I look forward to joining you all in the continued struggle for safe, just, and sustainable transportation — from a different perch, and with another extraordinary team.

Until then, please reach me at smgl...@gmail.com or 206-931-2613

In gratitude,

—Susan

Susan Gleason

Clara Cantor

Nov 15, 2021, 4:33:51 PM11/15/21
to Core Seattle Greenways Group
Hi Friends,

I've created a Virtual Goodbye Card for Susan via Google Jamboard. Please leave a note for Susan if you feel moved to do so! Notes, memories, or photos all welcome.

Susan's been a cornerstone for us for a long time, first as a volunteer with Rainier Valley Greenways and then as our Communications and Development Director. We are going to miss her heart and energy on our SNG team, and look forward to working with her in her new role at TCC!

Be well,
Clara

Clara Cantor
she/her/hers