LCNA hosts Kickoff for Lake City's New Community Center

Muriel Lawty

Nov 14, 2022, 1:39:58 PM11/14/22
Hello Neighbors,

PLEASE PASS THIS ON!

Our November 10 meeting featured David Graves, Seattle Parks, and Jessica Gomez, Seattle Housing in a great meeting about what's next for our new community center.  We had a great informal discussion of the project and many great ideas and questions were shared.  The meeting was recorded and is available to anyone with the link posted below - so Please Share!!  Over this week we will review the meeting and send out notes.  For now, here is what David shared about the plan so far:

NOTES FROM DAVID GRAVES

Rollout Plan for the NEW LAKE CITY COMMUNITY CENTER:

  • November 2022 - First community meeting with the Lake City Neighborhood Association - kick off of the project, talk with community about future uses/activities at the community center.
  • Q1 2023 - Continue community engagement process
  • Q1/Q2 2023 - Issue RFP/RFQ for developer  * (request for proposal)
  • Q2/Q3 2023 - Developer/designer is selected
  • Q3/Q4 2023 – Q4 2024/Q1 2025 - Building design and permitting (12-18 month process). Design of the building will be reviewed by the NE Design Review Board at public meetings focused on the building design.
  • Q3/Q4 2023 – Q3/Q4 2024 – Public outreach to community led by SPR related to the design of the interior Community Center spaces. SPR outreach will align with Design Review Board process for consistency:
    • Outreach mtg 1 - meet developer/designer; what does the public want to do/see at the community center.
    • Outreach meeting 2 - Review Concepts as to how the community center might look; access, architecture & floor plans
    • Outreach meeting 3 – Finalize community center layout based on what we heard at mtg 2
  • Q1/Q2 2025 - Construction Starts
  • Outreach continues through construction to keep public updated on community center design, fit and finishes of the interior
  • Q4 2025/Q1 2026 - TI work on the Community Center starts once core and shell of ground floor is completed
  • 2026 Building opens.

We are creating a  file in Google Drive that gives access to anyone who is interested.  Due to the amount of material LCNA has compiled over the last year, documents will be in that file.  So far there is a link to the recording - it may take 10 minutes to open being a large file - the chat from the meeting and the notes above in document form.
Here is the link to the file:

Thank you for caring for our Lake City Neighborhoods!
--
Muriel Lawty  community volunteer