Broadband Internet at Bonaparte

David Warrren

Sep 11, 2007, 6:58:27 PM9/11/07
to lakebo...@googlegroups.com
As of this summer of 2007 I have been able to get Verizon
broadband wireless service to my lap top computer broadcast from the new
tower, with strength enough to support the Conservation Club slideshow
at least. Previously I couldn't even use my Verizon Cell phone near the
lake, except by the horse pasture (Misty and etc.) on our North Shore
Road. On the South Shore, or any where in particular , it may be
better or worse. No dish necessary. Here on a ridge near Cayuga Lake
where I live, it can stream video as good as cable, and so it will
anywhere the signal is strong and not too many people are using it to
download movies . Verizon says their broad band service is meant
only for "data" and not streaming video or audio. And still they want
to sell it as Broadband.
They will cut off people who overuse it in their judgment, as they
did (probably not knowing who he was) the New York Times tech reviewer,
David Pogue.. Costs similar to Road Runner. Uses a card or a USB plug
in. Uses Verizon cell phone tower and technology, so if you get three
or four bars on your cell phone signal, you should do fine with the
Broadband service.
I understand that some Lake Residents are looking into bringing
broadband to the Lake. Maybe the group is looking into the purchase
and installation of a rebroadcasting station. I hope to hear about it.