Simulation result difference

Truong Nguyen

Jun 3, 2024, 3:23:59 PMJun 3
to THERM

Hi all,

I'm a new member of the Therm community. I'm currently working on a project that involves thermal simulation. I've noticed some discrepancies in the results obtained from Therm and Flixo, another thermal simulation software.

Even though I imported the model from Therm to Flixo, with identical geometry, material properties, and boundary conditions, the results differed (see attached images: 1 - Therm, 2 - Flixo).

My guess is that the difference might be due to the varying meshing algorithms used by each software (see attached images: 3 - Therm mesh, 4 - Flixo mesh).

Has anyone encountered a similar situation or have insights into this issue? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

mul0.png

Image 1

mul1.png

Image 2

mesh2.png

Image 3

mesh1.png

Image 4

Daniel Bettenhausen

Jun 4, 2024, 3:14:21 PMJun 4
to Truong Nguyen, THERM
It has been my experience that establishing mesh independence for a heat conduction problem generally does not require an extremely fine mesh.  I would check and verify that the material models (frame cavities) and radiation model at the interior boundary are being calculated the same way.

--
You can view the THERM forum online at:
https://groups.google.com/g/LBNL-THERM