Problems with color flux magnitude results

Tavia D

Mar 8, 2024, 2:55:16 PMMar 8
to THERM
Hello,
New to THERM, I am trying to run the color flux magnitude results for a basic 2x6 frame wall. The problem is there are two different results of flux in my 2x6's. Can someone explain what I am doing wrong?
Attached is my THERM file and images of what I am seeing.
Thank you.
flux.png
StudWall.THM
studwall.png
colorfluxmagnitude2x6.png

Reichard, Georg

Mar 8, 2024, 4:12:31 PMMar 8
to Tavia D, THERM
First, I thought it might be a rendering issue if the meshes in either stud differ, but that wouldn't match the higher flux you see on the right side. My hunch is that you likely have different materials in your left/right studs?
Just because it has the same color, it may not have the same properties ... double click the rectangle and check the conductivity set in both studs ...

Cheers,
Georg
--
You can view the THERM forum online at:
https://groups.google.com/g/LBNL-THERM

Jonathan Spencer

Mar 11, 2024, 3:12:38 PMMar 11
to THERM
The model itself looks fine to me. Materials and Boundary conditions aren't secretly different on one end or anything. And the isotherms look good. Symmetrical at the very least.

I think we are seeing is a strange issue with how the mesh fits the polygons. The flux and color flux magnitude displays are just not getting their visual representations correct. Turn your mesh parameter up (or even down) and see that everything looks normal again.
flux6.PNG
Mesh6.PNG
flux8.PNG
Mesh8.PNG

Robin Mitchell

Mar 11, 2024, 4:11:22 PMMar 11
to Jonathan Spencer, THERM
Yes I was seeing the same thing, that the mesh was different on the problem polygon. I was going to suggest playing with the mesh parameter, and it seems that was the answer !!

I will put this file in our test set, to see if there is something we can do to improve how the mesher is dealing with this situation.

Robin

--
Robin Mitchell
Building Technology and Urban Systems Division

Tavia Dahl

Mar 12, 2024, 1:42:44 PMMar 12
to Robin Mitchell, Jonathan Spencer, THERM
Fantastic! Thank you all so much for your help!
Tavia

On Mar 11, 2024, at 2:11 PM, Robin Mitchell <rdmit...@lbl.gov> wrote:

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "THERM" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/LBNL-THERM/CACF39SsuiGQCNnaZ%3DyrorxKghhe3DPrT--0bWYCqZK3KUtczZQ%40mail.gmail.com.