Timber batten zones

Sarah Temlett

May 29, 2024, 12:11:13 PMMay 29
to THERM
Hi all. I have read that according to EN ISO 6946 any ventilated air cavity and any successive layer toward outside should not be considered in calculations. Therefore I was assuming in a timber frame build up I shouldn't model the timber battens, counter battens and cladding. However some companies do include them when producing psi values, and including these zones does improve the psi value. Does anyone know whether they should be modelled or not? If I was to include the timber batten zones, what would be an appropriate thermal conductivity to use? Thanks.

archi...@gmail.com

Jun 17, 2024, 4:53:08 AMJun 17
to THERM
Hi.
They should not be modelled.

Ciao
Fabrizio

Reichard, Georg

Jun 17, 2024, 12:52:18 PMJun 17
to archi...@gmail.com, THERM

Agreed, it’s an ISO standard, so should be considered applicable as the norm across different countries.

In the US, the ASHRAE Handbook – Fundamentals follows the same understanding without referencing the ISO standard.

ASHRAE offers a table for “Effective Thermal Resistance of Plane Air Spaces” but this requires the air gap to be enclosed within an assembly, which is NOT the case in ventilated cavities behind a rainscreen layer.

Best,

Georg

--
You can view the THERM forum online at: