Psi - value calculation (linear thermal transmittance)

Alexandra Kalymniou

Jun 13, 2024, 12:35:58 PMJun 13
to THERM

Hello! I am familiarising myself with THERM and I have difficulty understanding where I take the heat flux (Q) from the results so I calculate the psi-values. Q has W/m as units but in the results I can only find the heat flow in W and the heat flux is given in W/sqm. Can you please help me understand which values I should take? I have added images from the results for a window jamb interface with an sfs wall, with adiabatic bc where the window frame touches the reveal. Any help is much appreciated!!

Jamb 1.PNGJamb 2.PNGJamb 3.PNG

Reichard, Georg

Jun 13, 2024, 5:52:29 PMJun 13
to Alexandra Kalymniou, THERM

You may want to look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWdrFqZM1a8.

This introduction into psi-value calculation is a first step to understand how a 2-D simulation is a linear extrusion of the problem that you try to solve.

I.e. you actually “measure” the averaged heat flux along an edge for a 1-unit (1m or 1ft) height of extrusion of the problem, and the read flux is then per square area (length of the edge x 1 unit high).

Admittedly, the problem in a window detail is a bit more complex than a simple corner, as you have to types of constructions meet in the same plane.

I always meant to do another video to show how this is done as I typically teach it in the classroom but didn’t get around to it yet.

Take a look at the attached lecture slides – I know they are not narrated but can give you a better idea of what we do with psi-values.

--
You can view the THERM forum online at:
https://groups.google.com/g/LBNL-THERM

4314-03c Thermal Transmission Losses - Lab.pptx

Alexandra Kalymniou

Jun 14, 2024, 5:23:05 AMJun 14
to THERM
Hello Georg! Thanks for your response! Your lecture slides were very useful! I  have a better understanding of how to read THERM's results!

Alexandra Kalymniou

Jun 14, 2024, 5:57:39 AMJun 14
to Reichard, Georg, THERM
Hello Georg,

Thank you so much for responding so quickly! I was using BISCO and TRISCO at my previous job and the results were more detailed. So it's great of you to explain how THERM provides results. I must say that you are a great professor, as it's all clear to me!

Thank you!

Kind regards,

Alexandra Kalymniou