Lasground with profiling lidar (eg, ICESAT2)

RG

Jun 14, 2024, 7:29:00 AMJun 14
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hi,

I am trying to use lasground for ground classification of profiling lidar data. It comes from ICESAT2, a spaceborne lidar platform. ICESAT2 point cloud data already comes with ground classification but there are some obvious errors. Hence, I am trying to see if a better classification can be generated using lasground.

The linear point density of this lidar data is ~1.9 pts/m. The top view and the vertical profile for a 30m segment can be seen below.

Do you think the lasground algorithm is suitable for such data? Also, I would like to find any prior attempts where lasground was used on such profiling lidar data. Does anyone here know about any such work?

Regards
Ranjith.

prof.PNG

Jochen Rapidlasso

Jun 14, 2024, 7:30:27 AMJun 14
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hi Ranjith,
please give lasground64 or lasground_new64 a try.

Best,

Jochen @rapidlasso

RG

Jun 17, 2024, 12:03:21 PMJun 17
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hi Jochen,

Thanks. Quick question: Is there an algorithmic difference between lasground and lasground64? I have done quite some investigations with lasground and tuned some parameters. So I was wondering if I should repeat the exercise with lasground64.

Ranjith.

Jochen Rapidlasso

Jun 17, 2024, 12:06:29 PMJun 17
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hi Ranjith,
lasground and lasground64 share the same algorithm. Due to rounding, there may be slight deviations (last digit).
lasground_new64 is a complete different algorithm, it is worth do do some exercise with this tool.
We recommend to use the 64 bit versions.

Cheers,

Jochen @rapidlasso