lasclip .txt input polygon file format

Maramusa

Jan 11, 2022, 9:15:05 AM1/11/22
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Im a bit new to point clouds.
Trying to clip a las file with lasclip

The clip will be a bounding box.
Im not sure if its easier to manually create a .shp file or a .txt file bas input to lasclip for the polygon

In the readme it shows the .txt file should be

757600 3.6927e+006
757432 3.69264e+006
757400 3.69271e+006
757541 3.69272e+006
757600 3.6927e+006
#
757800 3.6917e+006
757632 3.69164e+006
757600 3.69171e+006
757741 3.69172e+006
757800 3.6917e+006
[...]

Can anyone explain exactly what these points are and what format
I am unsure also about what goes before the # and I assume  [...] is for more polygon vertices.

Thanks

Support at rapidlasso

Jan 11, 2022, 9:21:57 AM1/11/22
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hi Maramusa,
may .txt is may easier for beginners.
The .txt file contains 1..n poligons.
Each line is a x and y coordinate of your input file.
The different poligons can be devided by the # line - but don't have to.
A poligon will be closed if a value is the same than a previous coordinate.
Easy, eh?

If you have more of that easy questions don't hessitate to write me a personal mail - we do not want others to be bored ;)

Jochen

Maramusa

Jan 13, 2022, 3:10:38 PM1/13/22
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Ok, I got it working

Now my only question is
It clips the polygon from one face (the XY , i assume the default top view)
But I cant control the Z height and depth of the clip
Also, I am trying to clip a bounding box from a Potree volume
Can I make lasclip rotate so the XY polygon is on a different face?
So I need to control the Z
And all this is with the text file input, not a shapefile

Thanks
maramsua

Jorge Delgado García

Jan 14, 2022, 5:58:06 AM1/14/22
to last...@googlegroups.com
If you need to clip according to a bounding box ... you can define it using coordinate filters (in X, Y and/or Z) using for example, las2las.
If you need to clip according to an irregular shape (defined by txt file or SHP file) ... in my knowledge, you only extract your data that is included in this/these polygon(s).

It is important to consider that LAStools is designed basically for aerial LiDAR data treatment (although it may have applications to data cloud processing in other contexts, e.g., ground captures, etc.). You can define a bounding box and then apply the lasclip for the irregular shape. Also you can rotate your data using las2las, but logically always, data and clipping polygon must be in the same reference system.

If possible, it would be advisable to provide an example of what you want to do, so that it can be easier to guide you..

Jorge

--
Download LAStools at
https://rapidlasso.de