[LAFD MEDIA] Firefighters Remember Lessons Learned From Northridge Earthquake 30 Years Later

lafd listmaster

Jan 15, 2024, 6:37:39 PMJan 15

MEDIA ADVISORY (WITH ADDITIONAL DETAIL) ATTACHED

LAFD Remembers Lessons Learned From Northridge Earthquake 30 Years Later

LOS ANGELES – The Los Angeles City Fire Department (LAFD) will discuss the devastating impact of the historic 1994 Northridge Earthquake on Los Angeles. Fire Chief Kristin Crowley will make a public call for disaster preparedness, before the next major earthquake. The press conference will feature a panel of LAFD members, who will recount their personal experiences of rescuing trapped victims from under the collapsed rubble and aftermath. Members of the press will also be invited to ask our responders specific questions about their personal experience 30 years ago and our current experts what we have we learned, and how to prepare for the next one.

After the panel discussion, we will provide time for one-on-one interviews with both, the subject matter experts and Northridge rescuers. The final portion will allow for news crews to capture B-roll, of confined space training, of the USAR team & USAR K-9 doing demonstrations with their life-saving equipment at our collapsed concrete ‘Disaster City’ training prop. Our LAFD C.E.R.T. Unit will also be on site to invite people to join and become trained as CERT volunteers and become qualified to help their neighbors.

What:
The LAFD would like to use the 30th year anniversary, as an important public call to preparedness. We want our citizens to take-away from the lessons learned from the 1994 Northridge Earthquake, and develop a proactive preparedness mindset.

Who:
 Fire Chief, Kristin M. Crowley,
LAFD USAR/ Disaster Response Section experts,
LAFD Firefighters that responded on: 1/17/1994.

When:
Wednesday, 1/17/2024 at 9:00 a.m.

Where:
Los Angeles City Fire Department
John Ruedy Memorial Training Center
"Disaster City" (rear lot)
5101 Sepulveda Blvd
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403

Media Parking: Gates will not open before 7:00 a.m. Enter through the North gate, near the fuel pumps (please see link below). Early morning, live-news hits shall be done from outside the gates, next to sand pile/ fuel pumps. Please don’t ring the fire station door bell, or ask for early access. After gates are opened, please drive along the North side of property line to designated parking (see map graphic in attached Media Advisory)

Google Map: https://maps.app.goo.gl/DmRCAP2uG8gXF3329

# # #

MA 202401-01.pdf

lafd listmaster