[LAFD MEDIA] LAFD Mourns the Loss of Recruit Firefighter Jacob Fuerte

lafd listmaster

Apr 15, 2024, 7:10:21 PMApr 15

LAFD Press Release and Photo Attached

LOS ANGELES - The Los Angeles City Fire Department (LAFD) is mourning the loss of one of
our recruit firefighters.

At 5:14 am this morning, a tragic incident occurred on the NB 101 freeway at Vineland Avenue
in Studio City. An LAFD recruit firefighter on his way to training at the Drill Tower Fire Academy
exited his vehicle at a traffic collision to likely assess the situation and render aid when he was
hit by another car. Our own LAFD firefighter paramedics responded quickly to the scene, but
unfortunately, they determined our member to be beyond medical assistance.

Recruit Firefighter Fuerte’s is survived by his father, two sisters, and a brother. His father is a
17-year veteran Firefighter/Paramedic with the department, who taught Recruit Fuerte the
importance of helping those in need.

“I received devastating news this morning that one of our firefighters lost their life tragically. He
had just started his firefighting career, which requires courage, bravery, and prioritizing others
before oneself. Our thoughts and prayers remain with his family during this most difficult time.”
said City of Los Angeles Fire Chief Kristin Crowley.

The California Highway Patrol (CHP) is conducting a hit-and-run investigation into the
circumstances of this tragedy. Any member of the public with information that may assist with
this investigation is encouraged to contact the CHP West Valley Office at (818) 888-0980
Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

For news media in need of a sound bite, please see the following Google Drive link to a video
statement of the above information by LAFD Captain Erik Scott:

LAFD Mourns Loss of Recruit Firefighter Jacob Fuerte.pdf
LAFD Recruit Firefighter Jacob Fuerte.jpeg