Kitzur SA 131:13, Hatmonoh on Erev Y"K

Richard

Aug 15, 2013, 3:32:11 PM8/15/13
to Kitzur List

The Minhog is to not do Hatmonoh on Erev Y"K for food to be consumed after Y"K.

The reasons given include:

A. It appears to be preparing from Y"K to Chol

B. It appears as ra'avsonusah [ravenous hunger]

Questions abound:

1. Re: A, we already light candles Erev Y"K to perapare ourselves for the Ner Havdolohoh AFTER Y"K. Unlike Hatmonoh - this is a m'lochoh g'muroh. So what's this problem with appearing to prepare?

2. Re: B the G'mara allows food preparation on Y"K itself during the afternoon, EG cutting vegetables. How is hatmonoh from before Y"K any worse?

3. Re: B we eat a lot before Y"K to prepare for the fast. In light of that, how does Hatmonoh appear as any more Ra'avsonusah than that?
Shanah Tovah!
Best Wishes for 5774,
RRW