Second order test

Arvind Venkat

Jun 8, 2024, 4:00:49 PM (12 days ago) Jun 8
to Artelys Knitro forum
Dear experts,

In the context of equality constrained minimization with KNITRO, say I write some code that runs a second order test at a given point and returns a boolean, is there some way to inform KNITRO that it should check this test also before concluding that some point is a local solution? If the test fails, I want KNITRO to keep searching.

What I am doing now is to enable multi-start and take the solution with the smallest objective that satisfies my second order condition.

Thank you,
Arvind.

Richard Waltz

Jun 10, 2024, 12:09:28 AM (11 days ago) Jun 10
to kni...@googlegroups.com
Hi Arvind,

Unfortunately, there is no way, inside of the multi-start procedure, to make Knitro keep going if it terminates at a stationary point that is not a local solution.  If it were a single solve scenario, you could just solve again starting from a small perturbation of the stationary point solution.

We will consider adding an option for a 2nd order check in a future release (in the case when we have exact 2nd derivatives and the problem is not too large).  In our experience, it is rare for Knitro to converge to feasible stationary points that are not local solutions, but it is possible.

Regards,
-Richard

Jun 10, 2024, 9:45:04 AM (10 days ago) Jun 10
to Artelys Knitro forum
Hi Richard,

Thanks a lot for your prompt response. To be clear, I was not requesting an implementation of this in the multi-start procedure, but in the single start one. I'd like to start from some initial point, and then when KNITRO thinks it has found a solution (that satisfies first order KKT), I want it to run my second order check, if if this is not satisfied, I want KNITRO to just automatically keep going until it finds a solution that does satisfy the second order check.

Best,
Arvind.

Richard Waltz

Jun 10, 2024, 5:42:37 PM (10 days ago) Jun 10
to kni...@googlegroups.com
Hi Arvind,

In that case, you can try to follow the procedure I recommended:

  • Have Knitro perform a single-solve
  • Check 2nd order condition
  • If not satisfied, take the "solution" from the previous solve, perturb it slightly (so it is no longer a stationary point) and then solve again using this perturbed point as the initial point for the next solve.

In all solves (after the initial one) you might experiment with the Knitro warm-start procedure by setting "strat_warm_start=1":

Regards,
-Richard

Sent: Monday, June 10, 2024 12:29 AM

To: Artelys Knitro forum <kni...@googlegroups.com>