Quaratine Update

K. A. Laity

May 30, 2020, 12:27:35 PM5/30/20
to Newsletter for Writer K. A. Laity

hellebore2.jpg

Hello folks,

It's been a while. There are a variety of reasons: as we all know, the world seems to be on fire a lot recently. I hope you are doing what you can to deal with that without losing hope or your own joy. That's essential. I try to remember that as I am stuck in NY when I ought to be in Scotland and miss everyone there very much.

One of my attempts to cheer myself instead of daily reminding myself of me shortcomings, is to come here and announce a few things that are out or forthcoming. Ten year in the making is a volume from pal Steve Bissette which will include my presentation I gave at the Alan Moore conference in Northampton in 2010. It is on his performance rituals and I had a lot of fun writing about them in an unusual (and some would and did say 'aggressively anti-academic') manner. Read more here.

And I'm extremely proud to be in the new issue of Hellebore, writing about fairies and namechecking everyone from Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell to the late Graham Joyce.

I had no more than announced that the Chastity Flame trilogy was out of print than I received an offer to put them back in print. Delighted to be working with Fahrenheit Press again. When the books go live -- which will be frighteningly soon! -- I will let you know.

I am also pleased to have art accepted for the Still River Editions post card exhibition Wish You Were Here. There are a few spots left so if you have some art to submit, hurry!

I continue to write a variety of things for Paul D. Brazill's Punk Noir Magazine including fiction, books reviews and random journalism. Drop by and find some new voices.

A little further down the line is another project with singer-songwriter Liz Davinci, She's making trailers for her new album that will be out in January 2021. She gave me a theme, I wrote a short piece and then she will create a video around it and her music. I know some of the other writers she collaborated with and I am so excited to see what the results will be. Fun!

Apart from feeling the weight of exile, the biggest impact of the current situation is not being able to get done things that are owed (and mostly overdue). This is me talking myself into getting them done. Because all of my academic conferences have been cancelled or delayed until next year, so I could just be having lots of fun -- if I could just get these things done.

So I will. Hope you are coping. Be well.

Kate