Volunteer Opportunities with Discovery Southeast

1 view

Beth Weigel

Apr 19, 2011, 7:46:40 PM4/19/11
to juneau-child...@googlegroups.com

Greetings Friends,

I hope everyone is enjoying this wonderful spring weather by getting outside.  If you are looking for some other opportunities to get outside, why not consider volunteering with Discovery Southeast.  We have a wide range of upcoming outdoor volunteer needs and  we are also opening up our next staff training hike at Auke Lake to volunteers.

With BioBlitz happening on June 18-19 on the UAS campus this year, we decided we wanted to get to know the Auke Lake area a bit more.  We will be doing a staff training hike on Thursday, May 5th from 5:30-7:30 and lead naturalists and local experts will help us explore the Auke Lake trail and surrounding natural spaces.  We will be limiting space on the hike so as to maintain a low impact so please RSVP if you are interested in accompanying us on this hike.

In addition, we are also looking for volunteers to help us with the following outdoor programs and activities:

April 26-29 and May 9-13 -- 4th grade Sea Week at Mendenhall Wetlands or Fish Creek Estuary.  3-5 volunteers needed on various days and times to assist with activities and monitoring kids on hike.

May 6th - Friday Fun Night at Gastineau Eliementary School.  Come join in the fun and help with nature inspired games and activities or tag along on a hike to help lead naturalist Scott Burton.

May 14th -- Juneau Maritime Festival.  We'll have a table set up and be doing ocean education activities with kids.  Sign up to help with the booth.

May 21st -- Community Day on the UAS Campus.  We'll have a table set up and leading mini-hikes.  Come help with hikes or table activities.

June 18-19 - BioBlitz at UAS Campus. Again we'll have a table and activities at this event and always need help.

We are hoping to have an entry in the 4th of July parades this year and want to get as many kids and adults as possible to be part of our parade of species.  We'll be promoting this at the Maritime Festival, Community Day and BioBlitz.  We may also add some costume creation days in June.

If you are interested in helping with any of these events, please email me and let me know.  And if you are not interested in volunteer opportunities with DSE and would not like to receive emails about volunteer opportunities, please also let me know and I will remove you from this list.

Thank you for all you do for Discovery Southeast and remember to check the web at www.discoverysoutheast.org  or our Facebook Page for more information.

Best,
Beth

--