Exciting Outdoor Opportunities in Juneau

Kristen

May 17, 2011, 3:16:03 PM5/17/11
to Juneau Children Outdoors Community Coalition
Hello Everyone,

I hope you all have been enjoying this wonderful spring weather and
spending a lot of time outdoors with your friends and families. There
are all kinds of great community events, camps for kids and workshops
for parents and educators coming up soon. I won't be able cover
everything in this note, but you'll be able to find out more details
on the "Get Outdoors Alaska" website (www.getoutdoorsalaska.org) and/
or go directly to the organization's website directly. Here's are a
few highlight:

-Juneau Audubon Society is offering Spring Field Trips on Saturdays-
May 21st, Bird expert, Gwen Baluss will be taking a bird walk on the
Morain Ecology Trail, where she'll focus on bird song identification,
especially warblers. Meet in the parking area near the Visitor Center
at 7:30 a.m. More outings are listed on GOA website or on Juneau
Audubon's website (www.juneau-audubon-society.org).

-Alaska Department of Fish & Game is offering Growing Up WILD hands-on
workshop for educators and caregivers of young children on Saturday,
June 4 from 9:00 am to 11:30 pm at Thunder Mountain High School and
the Brotherhood Trail. Designed for educators and caregivers of
children ages 3 – 7, Growing Up WILD provides a consistent,
developmentally appropriate, interdisciplinary teaching tool for early
childhood educators to meet their educational goals while fostering an
appreciation of the natural world among their young learners. A $15.00
fee covers materials, which include the Growing Up WILD Exploring
Nature with Young Children Activity Guide. Caregivers can receive
certification hours through this training.

-Discovery Southeast is offering a summer of fun and outdoor learing
at "Outdoor Explorers" Day Camps. There are several sessions for
different age groups. Check out the Discovery Southeast website at
www.discoverysoutheast.org.

-2nd Annual BioBlitz will take place at the UAS Auke Lake Campus on
June 18-19th. We'll be exploring a new watershed. What's a BioBlitz?
BioBlitzes are a blend of science, celebration, education and
community. Biologists, naturalists and ordinary citizens team up to
discover beetles and bears, birds and butterflies and more. The event
is a partnership between the Alaska Coastal Rainforest Center, Alaska
Department of Fish & Game, Discovery Southeast, Juneau Economic
Development Council, NOAA, University of Alaska Southeast, US Forest
Service, US Fish & Wildlife Service. For more information: check out
ACRC website at: http://acrc.alaska.edu.

-4-H Cooperative Extension will begin its Summer Fishing Club.
Children and their families can sign up for this year's fishing club
at "Family Fishing Day" at Twin Lakes. The club meets once a week and
visits different fishing holes all around Juneau.

-New this year is also a 4-H Gardening Club "Douglas Dirt Diggers" for
children in 2nd-5th grades.. To Register, email Iris at
ikor...@acsalaska.net. Registration Open Until May 24 or Until Slots
are Filled. Introductory Meeting May 31, 7:00-8:00 pm, Bill Ray
Center.

-SAGA's Eagle Valley Center is offering Adventure Camp Camps. Open to
ages 7-11. Join the EVC staff for out the road adventures including:
Ropes course, Herbert Glacier hike, Amalga Meadows hike and kayak and
tidepooling at Eagle Beach. To register, call or email Katie Kanellis
at 723-1593 or adve...@servealaska.org.

Wow, there's so much happening in our community. There's more....be
sure to check out "Get Outdoors Alaska" website throughout the summer.
We'll be posting new activities/programs as we learn about them. Feel
free to send your activities/events to us, we'll be sure to post them.
You can email me at: kristen....@alaska.gov

Enjoy playing outdoors,

Kristen Romanoff
Juneau Children Outdoors Community Coalition, Chair