Sermon: Why the Temple Veil was Rent

John Henry

Apr 1, 2008, 1:39:52 AM4/1/08
to Baptis...@yahoogroups.com

“WHY THE TEMPLE VEIL WAS RENT”

By Missionary Michael Lovett

TEXT: Mt27:51, Mk15:38 and Lk23:45 (Various)

TIME & PLACE: 30/03/08 ELBC

SUBJ: Topical (Renting of the Veil)

THEME:

P/S:
E.P. CAN UNDERSTAND WHY THE TEMPLE VEIL WAS RENT

T/S: BY REALIZING 3 SIMPLE YET PROFOUND REASONS WHY AS REVEALED IN THE SCRIPTURES.

INTRO: Last week we looked at “What All The Commotion Was About” in regards to the earthquake at the resurrection of Christ and while looking at that and studying on it I was once again reminded of the veil being rent in the preceding chapter. It caught my attention then and has always caught my attention when I read it. It has been the topic of much conversation over the years, so I want to look at it this week and see if we can glean anything from it and look more importantly at its significance. I truly do not believe that anything that took place that day or leading up to that day, concerning Christ is of no significance. I also believe with something as important as this taking place that the Veil being rent did have some profound reason in the totality of all that took place. We can find that it is mentioned in 3 out of the 4 Gospels. 3 of those being called the Synopitic Gospels (Mt, Mk & Lk) because they present a synopsis or general view of the same series of events. Matthew is the 1st book mentioning it and it is where we are looking this morning. Mt 27:51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent; Then we can find it in Mk 15:38 And the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom. And then lastly we find it in Lk 23:45 And the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was rent in the midst.

   So we see can conclude that this was an important event. Now before I get into my thought this morning concerning the Veil being rent or torn I want to look at some reasons 1st for the Veil being in place in the Temple by way of introduction into our thought for this morning. First reason I believe the Veil was there was......

·          Because of SOVEREIGNTY – A Sovereign God dictated and mandated that there be a partition between the clean (Holy) and the unclean. Eph 2:14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;

·          Because of SEPARATION – Man was and had been separated from a one on one relationship and eternal immortal existence from God since his fall in the Garden of Eden. Immediately after mans sin and separation from God he was separated by a Veil, if you will, that restricted his access to God. We find this account in Gen 3:24 So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life. We do know as I have said before that they still had to present an offering at this “door” yet they could not go in and have access with God as before. Gen 4:7 If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

·          Because of SINS – We have already alluded to this, but the Veil was there because OUR Sins had separated us from having a one on one communion with God. Isa 59:2 But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.

·         Because of a SYSTEM – God had ordained a system from The Garden of Eden, throughout the Wilderness in the Tabernacle and then into Solomon’s Temple. And this SYSTEM that was in place stated that Man could not approach a sovereign God without a representation or Mediator and an acceptable offering.

   So we see that a Sovereign God was Separated from Sinful man based upon a System that God Himself ordained and only one thing could change it. And that is what brings us to where we are in verse 51 of Matthew…..
And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent; With that being said I want to look at this event that took place that day and the impact of it that day bringing to an end a System that had been put in place since the Garden of Eden. I want to Preach on this thought……”WHY WAS THE TEMPLE VEIL RENT?”…….

I.                    THE PAYMENT WAS PRESENTED

Note: Why was the Temple Veil Rent…..Because THE…. not A Payment had been made that was all sufficient…..

Heb 10:1-10 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect. 2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins. 3 But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year. 4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins. 5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me: 6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure. 7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God. 8 Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law; 9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second. 10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

A.      IN ITS FULFILLMENT vs1/vs7 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

vs7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.

B.       IN ITS FAULTLESSNESS vs10a By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ

C.      IN ITS FINALITY vs10b ……..once for all. !!!!!!!

The Hymn writer said it this way....Free from the Law, oh happy condition, Jesus has bled, and there is remission; cursed by the law and bruised by the fall, Grace hath redeemed us “Once for All!”

Note: When the Temple Veil was Rent it was because The Payment that was Presented was....Fulfilled, Faultless and Final.....there was no need for another, thus no need for a Veil anymore.....Praise the Lord!!!

II.                 THE PREISTHOOD WAS PERFECTED

Note: The Temple Veil was Rent not only because a Payment was Presented, but also because the Priesthood was Perfected. Up until this time Priests, particularly a High Priest had to go in once a year and offer up a sacrifice for the sins of themselves and for the people. It was a shadow of the final one that would be made by the High Priest of Heaven….God in the flesh. Heb 10:11-18 11 And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins: 12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God; 13 From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool. 14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified. 15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before, 16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; 17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more. 18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.

A.      IN ITS SUPPLIER vs11-12 And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins: 12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;

B.       IN ITS SACRIFICE vs14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

C.      IN ITS SATISFACTION vs18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.

Note: Christ Supplied, Sacrificed and Satisfied the Priesthood of God and thus signifying “WHY” the Temple Veil was Rent. No more need for a worldly Priesthood because we now had a Perfected Heavenly one!

III.              THE PATHWAY WAS PREPARED

Note: Why was the Temple Veil Torn….not only because Christ Presented a Payment, Perfected a Priesthood, but because Christ also prepared a Pathway to God when He tore it. How did He do it....Hebrews gives us a precise explanation in regards to this. Heb10:19-23 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus, 20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh; 21 And having an high priest over the house of God; 22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water. 23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)

A.      IN ITS AVENUE vs22a “Let us draw near with a true heart”

B.       IN ITS ACCEPTANCE vs22b “in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water”

C.      IN ITS AVAILABILTY vs23 “Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)”

Note: When The Temple Veil was Rent...it was for an Avenue, for Acceptance (believe it) and it was Available to all…..because the Pathway was Prepared!  It is now available to all and for all. Christ died so that you and I could have eternal life again and we could be reunited back to a relationship with Him that was lost in the Garden of Eden.

Appl: If God did all this when the Veil was Rent...... Presented the Payment, Perfected the Priesthood and Prepared the Path….then what is holding you up. He has done it all so that you and I could be restored back to what He always desired from mankind and that was a loving relationship. With that being said if you don’t know Him as Saviour today what could possibly be holding you back?

              Inv: Hymn 220 “The Love Of God”