A Jo Beverley Newsletter

Jobev

Jan 2, 2016, 6:22:33 AM1/2/16
to Jo Beverley

I intend to generally send this newsletter in the middle of the month, but in the middle of December, I was in Malta, taking a brief holiday for some extra sun. So I decided to send this one out close to Christmas. Well, now it is past Christmas!

I wondered if everyone would be overstuffed by Christmas when reading this, so apart from the picture on the left, I'll do my best to avoid the seasonal from here on, but I do wish you smiles and happiness.

So, Malta. It's a fascinating, and in ways a mysterious place, with stone-age remains that are extraordinary. If you'd like to know more,[check out the blog I wrote about it](http://wordwenches.typepad.com/word_wenches/2015/12/malta.htm).

Considering blogs, if you're a fan of Georgette Heyer, you'll enjoy [this blog](http://wordwenches.typepad.com/word_wenches/2015/11/-heyer-walk-1.html) about places in London that appear in her novels.

You can find part two of the blog [here.](http://wordwenches.typepad.com/word_wenches/2015/12/heyer-walk-2.html)

I said I'd be sharing pictures of real people in my books. [Here's Harriette Wilson](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harriette_Wilson), February 22, 1786 - March 10, 1845, a famous Regency courtesan.

She hasn't exactly appeared in my books, but in [Forbidden](http://jobev.com/epubbooks.html#FORBID) Serena is heading for London in hopes of getting Harriette's help in becoming a courtesan herself. Serena had encountered Harriette in the past, when in her vile husband's company, and Harriette had shown compassion for her situation.

It isn't a comfortable thought, but in the past, when wives had few rights against abusive husbands, being a high-priced whore could be preferable.

Of course Forbidden is a romance, so Serena finds  a good man, but it's not surprising if she's very wary.

Feel free to share this newsletter with anyone interested. I hope to be back on the regular schedule in January.

Cheers!

Jo