Useful tools for getting into new media

Annie Shreffler

Jun 10, 2010, 10:08:51 PM6/10/10
to jtm-d...@googlegroups.com
Just came across a group (thanks, Twitter!) that is compiling a list of useful tools/sites for those looking for affordable ways to enter the digital news production world. http://henrymlopez.com/?p=89  (Send comments to Lopez via Twitter at @henrymlopez)

The Guerilla Editor’s guide

Published: June 10, 2010Posted in: Guerilla editingTags:

Here are some resources compiled together by members of the Maynard Multimedia Editing Program in Reno, Nev., in June 2010. The list is meant for local news organizations and community bloggers.

Please use the comment section below to add your suggestions or ask for a resource you might need. This is a community project – take a little, give a little.

Curated by Henry M Lopez, Michelle Johnson and Dennis Joyce. Original contributions from 2010 Maynard Institute Multimedia Editing Program.

Best,
Annie

--
Annie Shreffler
Public Media Journalist

W. Jeffrey Brown

Jun 11, 2010, 5:34:20 PM6/11/10
to jtm-d...@googlegroups.com
Just thought that I would pass along a standing assignment that AHN editors are asking our global network of journalists to cover.   We touched on many of these issues at JTMDetroit so I am hoping that we can spark a much larger conversation. And if anyone wants to contribute we would welcome the participation.  Send your stories and pitches to news...@allheadlinenews.com.

Thanks again. JTMDetroit was an excellent event!

-----

Beginning Monday, AHN editors are asking each of our journalists to add an additional aspect to their work.  We are asking them to start covering ourselves—the media.

We don’t have to tell you the condition the media is: papers struggling to stay open, website that can’t figure out how to make money, bloggers, aggregators, etc.   All of this has the potential to threaten, in a very basic way, the ability of the public to get news that impacts their lives and the ability of the media to fulfill a basic purpose – to watch over government.

Yet, because journalists are rather shy about reporting on their own industry, the mainstream media often underplays how it works and why what we do is important.

Accordingly, each of our staff now has a standing assignment to file stories about the media. To start with, we are asking for one additional original story at least once a month. That’s a minimum;  but they are welcome to file more often than that.

And we are not looking for just “financial struggle” stories. We are also looking for stories that can and should cover the spectrum of what’s going on in--and to--the media.

Here’s examples of what we are looking for;

• Why are journalists reluctant to cover religion?
• Paywalls: will they work?
• Can bloggers become respected as journalists?
• Should journalism accept a government bailout?
• What technology will journalists be using in the future?
• Will a decentralized media be good or bad?

For AHN's foreign correspondents, the questions might be different, such as: are newspapers thriving in non-Western countries, how do journalists do their job under government restrictions/oppression, what part does technology play for the media in countries where journalists are restricted?

W.
 Jeffrey Brown jbr...@allheadlinenews.com
Founder & CEO WPB 561.283.8452 | DC - 202.470.5266

Anna Tarkov

Jun 11, 2010, 5:50:36 PM6/11/10
to jtm-d...@googlegroups.com
I think it's very important for journalists to also be fierce media critics. Here are some things I've written:

Also, if anyone is interested in keeping an eye on (or submitting examples of) media failures: http://mediafail.com/

-Anna

____________________________________
Anna Tarkov
Mobile: 773-844-6302
Journalist - Blogger - Raconteur
http://annatarkov.posterous.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/AnnaTarkov
http://twitter.com/AnnaTarkov

AHNsignaturelogo.png

Melissa Scott

Jun 13, 2010, 10:35:50 PM6/13/10
to jtm-d...@googlegroups.com
Please Comment here:

http://open.salon.com/blog/onebyland/2010/06/13/minorities_are_soon_the_majority_what_about_newsrooms

Almost half of the children born in the US in 2008-2009 are of color.  But they’re still called, “Minorities.”  Census report:  "Minorities accounted for almost 49% of U.S. births in the year ending July 1, 2009, a record high.”

Alicia Buggs

Jun 15, 2010, 11:10:40 PM6/15/10
to jtm-d...@googlegroups.com
Hello Everyone,
I hope all have settled in at home and haven't forgotten about the great work and ideas that came out of the Detroit conference.

Is anyone attending the National Association of Black Journalists conference in San Diego? If so, please let me know. I planned to attend.

Alicia Buggs

Emilia Askari

Almost half of the children born in the US in 2008-2009 are of color.  But they’re still called, “Minorities.”  Census report:  "Minorities accounted for almost 49% of U.S. births in the year ending July 1, 2009, a record high.”

Emilia Askari, journalist and master's candidate
Connecting people, information and technology in more valuable ways
eas...@umich.edu, 248-229-2990