One of color in 2010 Knight News Challenge winners...

Michelle Ferrier

Jun 16, 2010, 3:38:31 PM6/16/10
to jtm-d...@googlegroups.com
Press Release: http://www.newschallenge.org/knc-2010-winners
Pictures of the winners:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knightfoundation/sets/72157624148103707

-----Original Message-----
From: Melissa Scott [mailto:mgrea...@yahoo.com]
Sent: Sunday, June 13, 2010 10:35 PM
To: jtm-d...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [JTM-Detroit] Minorities are Soon the Majority. So why are Online Newsrooms White?

Please Comment here:

http://open.salon.com/blog/onebyland/2010/06/13/minorities_are_soon_the_majority_what_about_newsrooms

Almost half of the children born in the US in 2008-2009 are of color.  But they’re still called, “Minorities.”  Census report:  "Minorities accounted for almost 49% of U.S. births in the year ending July 1, 2009, a record high.”

Anna Tarkov

Jun 16, 2010, 4:02:30 PM6/16/10
to jtm-d...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

Thanks for posting this Michelle. Brad Flora, one of the winner is my good friend. Here's the link to the posting on his site, Windy Citizen: http://www.windycitizen.com/chicago/media/2010/06/16/windycitizen-founder-wins-knight-news-challenge

Best,
Anna Tarkov
--
____________________________________
Anna Tarkov

Jennifer 8. Lee

Jun 16, 2010, 4:06:18 PM6/16/10
to jtm-d...@googlegroups.com
Actually it's at least 3 ppl of color. I'm not sure sure how you are counting (?)
And originally was four.  Plus two people from developing countries.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
jennifer 8. lee | 917.586.0588
j8.ly (s)
jenny8lee.com (m)
www.jennifer8lee.com (l)
www.twitter.com/jenny8lee (xs)

Christina Xu

Jun 16, 2010, 4:13:08 PM6/16/10
to jtm-d...@googlegroups.com
I visually, lazily counted two: Teru from One-Eight and Retha from Development Seed. Don't know about Latino/as in the group.

For all the game design folks at JTM, one of the winning projects is called "The Cartoonist" and is a platform for authoring short games that would serve as more interactive versions of editorial comics. Worth checking out!

Christina
Message has been deleted