LocallyGrown News launches hyperlocal community site

MFerrier

Jun 17, 2010, 12:33:03 PM6/17/10
to Journalism That Matters-Detroit
Hi Journalism That Matters friends --

LocallyGrown News (www.locallygrownnews.com) has launched! The site,
originally financed from the McCormick Foundation New Women, New Media
grant, is the proof of concept for the Women's Community News
Franchise project I pitched for the grant.

The content features news and information focused on the local food
movement and Local First initiatives taking hold across the country.
The site features content provided by local writers as well as "user-
generated content" by our community members who can post their own
stories, photos, and events on the site.

We're beta testing in two communities: Greensboro and Winston-Salem in
North Carolina. The goal is to demonstrate the viability of the
hyperlocal market and to determine whether this niche content
conversation can tap into a unique advertising niche.

Our hope is that the content, platform and advertising models we pilot
on the site will be sustainable for a "franchise" in other locales. We
are gauging interest from other communities and have made initial
contacts in Florida, California and Washington.

To all our hyperlocal operators who have provided feedback and much-
needed advice, THANK YOU! Please take a look and let me know what you
think.

Sincerely,
Michelle Ferrier
Proprietor
www.locallygrownnews.com

Keith Woods

Jun 17, 2010, 5:01:16 PM6/17/10
to jtm-d...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations and good luck, Michelle.

keith

edi...@comvoicesonline.com

Jun 18, 2010, 12:52:44 PM6/18/10
to jtm-d...@googlegroups.com
Awesome!!! I am inspired!

Sonya Hollins
Community Voices

jessica durkin

Jun 18, 2010, 1:12:39 PM6/18/10
to jtm-d...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations Michelle. That's excellent.

Jessica Durkin

Jessica Durkin
Scranton, PA
(570) 348-9447

New America Foundation Media Policy Initiative fellow
Founder: InOtherNews.us, NewsRedux.us
@jessdrkn
facebook.com/jessica.durkin