Shashi Business Meeting on Thursday, March 21

Good, Hiro

Jan 30, 2013, 4:18:19 PM1/30/13
to jch-shashi@googlegroups.com (jch-shashi@googlegroups.com)

Dear colleagues in the Shashi Group,

AAS conference is approaching. Shashi group is hosting two events this year; a business meeting on Thursday, March 21 and a panel on Sunday, March 24.

We are going to have the Business Meeting at following room and time.

Manchester Grand Hyatt, San Diego, CA, Room: Betsy A

Thursday, March 21, 2013, 9:30 – 10:30 am

In recent years, we are expanding activities and we have now four major projects, Shashi Wiki, AAS panel, Shashi Duplication Gift and Peer-Review Open Access e-Journal.

I would like to ask some members to help the group for each project as follows.

1.       Shashi Wiki  http://library.osu.edu/wikis/shashidb/index.php/Main_Page

·         We need 2 or 3 technology savvy volunteers for moving Shashi Wiki and being Wiki managers.

·         It is the time to move Shashi Wiki server. We should not relay on Maureen as Wiki manager forever (she is doing this since 2006)

·         We’d better have 2 or 3 Wiki managers for maintain Shashi Wiki.

·         Recently Obayashi Corporation published their 120 yeas shashi on their home page.

http://www.obayashi.co.jp/chronicle/120th/index.html

We have to think again how to archive online shashi.

2.       2014 AAS Panel

·         I am looking for a volunteer to be an Organizer/Chair for next panel. This will be a good experience for your professional development. I organized 1 workshop and 2 panels.

·         Topic of the panel

“Technology” is suggested by Katsuko Murahashi and one more Japanese businessman, who is working at Bosch Japan. They want to present papers on this topic. Need 2 more presenters. I know couple faculty specialized in history of technology. Ms. Murahashi will come to AAS San Diego, so you can talk with her for detail of the plan if you go with this topic.  I will join the meeting with Ms. Murahashi because I need talk with her about her article for e-journal “Shashi” after the panel.

3.       Shashi Duplication Gift and Exchange Projects

·         We need 2 or 3 volunteers to be in charge of Shashi Duplication Gift and Exchange Projects.

·         We would like to continue donation project from Kawasaki Library and Shibusawa Memorial Foundation may be once every three years.

·         Seek more Japanese libraries where have many duplication Ex. Nakanoshima Library in Osaka.

·         We would like to start once per year exchange shashi duplication project among member libraries.

4.       Peer-Review Open Access e-Journal “Shashi: the journal of Japanese Business and Company History” http://shashi.pitt.edu/ojs/index.php/shashi

·         We lunched the annual Journal in 2012 with Hiro Good and Dr. Martha Chaiklin, an assistant professor of History dept. at University of Pittsburgh (Pitt), as co-editors and University Library System of Pitt as publisher.

·         Prof. Chaiklin and I will continually have a responsibility of the e-journal.

·         We need copy editors and layout editors for both English and Japanese papers, and reviewers for Japanese papers.

If you want to help one of these projects, please contact me on or off the mailing list.

If you have any questions, please contact me any time.

I look forward to hear from you.

See you all in San Diego!

Hiro

---

Hiroyuki N. Good

Chair, Japanese Company Histories Interest Group (Shashi Group)

Japanese Studies Librarian

University Library System

University of Pittsburgh

207H Hillman Library
3960 Forbes Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15260
Tel: 412-648-8187, Fax: 412-648-7683

Shashi: The Journal of Japanese Business and Company History

http://shashi.pitt.edu/ojs/index.php/shashi

Shashi Wiki: Database of Japanese Company Histories Books in North America:

http://library.osu.edu/wikis/shashidb/index.php/Main_Page

My Profile http://pitt.libguides.com/hiroyukigood

Katsuko Murahashi

Feb 1, 2013, 1:50:42 AM2/1/13
to jch-s...@googlegroups.com
Good様

AAS conferenceその他、いろいろお世話様です。
私も、お目にかかるのを楽しみにしています。
ただ、航空機のトラブルの影響で3月のフライトが、まだ不確定の状態で
予約もできずにいます。

早くも来年の準備をなさっているようですが、昨日いただいたメールにある
e-journalについてのご相談や来年の社史グループのことについては、Goodさんと
私との内々のお話と思っていましたので、ちょっとびっくりしました。
抗議というわけではありませんが、エッ、オープンにするの?と思って・・・。
Boschの彼のことは、本人にもまだOKをもらっていませんでしたので。
彼、工学博士号を持っている技術家ですが、昔から社史大好き人間です。
「アメリカで社史のことを話してみませんか」と誘ってみましたら「ああ、
いいですねぇ」と言っていましたので、Goodさんにお話した次第です。

来年、もし「社史と技術」をテーマになさるのでしたら、ドイツの先生にも
ご参加いただけないかと思っています。
日本とドイツの技術交流を社史を使って調べていらっしゃる方です。
近いうちにE-mailを送って可能性をうかがってみます。

いずれにしても、GoodさんとはSan Diegoでご相談させていただくつもりです。
Katsuko MURAHASHI
34-37-407, Amanuma 3-chome, Suginami-ku
Tokyo, 167-0032 JAPAN
Tel: 81-3-3392-9571