Stop closure of the Kawasaki Library

Good, Hiro

Feb 3, 2013, 9:01:31 AM2/3/13
to jch-s...@googlegroups.com

Please pardon any duplication.

I want to call your attention to a plan of Japanese local government that will affect Japanese Studies community deeply. As a part of their fiscal reconstruction plan, the Kanagawa Prefecture government is planning to stop browsing and circulating materials of the Kawasaki Library, where holds the world largest collection of Japanese Company History books, Shashi, and less commonly available materials on Japanese industries.

I have visited the library every time I go to Japan for my studies and have recommended all Japanese Studies researchers I know to visit the library. The library also donated 382 volumes of duplicate Japanese Company History books to 6 North American university libraries last year.

Their decision will affect us deeply since browsing materials at open-stack libraries is very important for our research materials hunts.

The Kanagawa Government will meet in this month to pass the resolution.  Please express your concern to the government at a website of Kanagawa Prefecture Library https://www.klnet.pref.kanagawa.jp/common/comments.htm  (Japanese only)

Please see a Yahoo web page collected related articles at http://seiji.yahoo.co.jp/close_up/1229/  for more detail. (Japanese only)

Best regards,

日本の方はもうご存知の方も多いと思いますが、神奈川県は財政再建の一環として、世界一の規模を誇る社史コレクションと貴重な日本産業に関する資料を有する神奈川県立川崎図書館を閉鎖し、図書を県立図書館に吸収、閲覧・貸出機能を廃止する検討をしています。2月の議会で決定が下されるようです。

ぜひ下記のページに意見をお寄せ下さい。

https://www.klnet.pref.kanagawa.jp/common/comments.htm

詳しいことはYahooみんなの政治の下記のページにまとまっています。

http://seiji.yahoo.co.jp/close_up/1229/

よろしくお願いいたします。

Hiroyuki N. Good

Chair, Japanese Company Histories (Shashi) Interest Group

Japanese Studies Librarian

University Library System

University of Pittsburgh

207H Hillman Library

3960 Forbes Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15260

Tel: 412-648-8187, Fax: 412-648-7683

E-journal "Shashi: the Journal of Japanese Business and Company History"

http://shashi.pitt.edu/ojs/index.php/shashi

Shashi Wiki: http://library.osu.edu/wikis/shashidb/index.php/Main_Page

My profile: http://pitt.libguides.com/hiroyukigood