Upcoming JBUG Pune events - What topic(s) would you like to see?

Jaikiran

Sep 11, 2011, 11:29:26 AM9/11/11
to JBoss User Group - Pune
Hello everyone,

In the coming few months, this year, we are planning to have a couple
of JBUG Pune sessions. The venue and the topics haven't yet been
decided. AS7 has been recently released and given that it's vastly
different from previous JBoss AS versions, I'm planning to include a
session on AS7. But ultimately, I would like to know from you people
on which topics you would like to see discussed in these events.

Furthermore, we would also like to see much more user participation
this time compared to what we had the last time. Please forward this
mail to others in your organizations who might be interested in this
events. Remember that these JBUG events are free to attend and just
need a (free) registration. I will be sending out the details of the
topic and the venue once everyone sends out their ideas/opinion.

Please reply to this mail on what you would like to see in these
events and what time/day of week would be preferable to attend these
events. Note that these events are currently being planned for Pune.

-Jaikiran

gaurav agarwal

Sep 11, 2011, 11:55:48 AM9/11/11
to jbug...@googlegroups.com
hello

Please plan to have these events on weekends

jaikiran pai

Sep 12, 2011, 2:55:45 AM9/12/11
to jbug...@googlegroups.com
I would like this to be on a weekend too and from what I know, some other members too have suggested that having this on a weekend would be good. So yes, the preference is currently on having this on a weekend. However, if anyone wants this to be held on a weekday, feel free to voice your opinion. Depending on the majority and the convenience we can schedule accordingly.

Also, don't hesitate in suggesting a topic that you would like to see presented. Not just that, if anyone wants to present a topic, feel free to tell us that. We'll provide all possible help.

These days, I'm mainly focussed on AS7 and EJB3.1, so I can present on either of these. But the topics need not be limited to these. Furthermore, I would like to know if anyone would like to hear about AS7 - I don't want to force the topic.

-Jaikiran

Devang Parikh

Sep 12, 2011, 7:14:18 AM9/12/11
to jbug...@googlegroups.com
so what is the place , I do hope it's going to be in Pune :-)

Bhaskar Patle

Sep 12, 2011, 7:54:11 AM9/12/11
to jbug...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jai,
It would be better if scheduled on weekend.
I would like to hear on the priority EJB3.1 and then JBoss - AS7, also as of now java 7 is in it will be great if someone shed some light on that too.

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 12:25 PM, jaikiran pai <jaikir...@gmail.com> wrote:
Regards,

Bhaskar Y. Patle

+91-9766644275

jaikiran pai

Sep 12, 2011, 12:30:17 PM9/12/11
to jbug...@googlegroups.com
It's going to be in Pune for sure. Although we haven't decided where in Pune. Last time we had it in the Pune office at Magarpatta. So that's an option.

-Jaikiran

KVMKReddy

Sep 12, 2011, 12:51:35 PM9/12/11
to jbug...@googlegroups.com
How about including HornetQ and/or Weld implementations.

Thanks and Regards
Murali Reddy

Stankov

Sep 18, 2011, 11:22:37 AM9/18/11
to jbug...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

How many participants would be attending this.  I know couple of good venue for this.

Regards

jaikiran pai

Sep 19, 2011, 2:32:44 AM9/19/11
to jbug...@googlegroups.com
Last time we arranged this event, it was around 10 people. But this time I want it to be much more and would want to here from the members on how many of them will be willing to attend. The event is going to sometime early October (and one more later) and it's going to be in Pune. So please reply to this mail whoever is interested in attending. That'll give us a rough estimate.

Suneil, what places do you have in mind for this? And how many participants are a minimal required number for those venues?

-Jaikiran

Bhaskar Patle

Sep 19, 2011, 2:50:35 AM9/19/11
to jbug...@googlegroups.com
If scheduled on weekend I'll attend for sure.
Regards,

Bhaskar Y. Patle

gaurav agarwal

Sep 19, 2011, 4:47:00 AM9/19/11
to jbug...@googlegroups.com
I will attend too for sure

jaikiran pai

Sep 26, 2011, 9:54:52 AM9/26/11
to jbug...@googlegroups.com
Okay then, the event will be held on a weekend. I'm planning to have it on October 22nd (which is a Saturday). This is tentative currently and will mainly depend on the number of participants. If anyone has any objections, please feel free to raise.

So far we have seen interest in the following topics:

1) EJB3.1
2) JBoss ASS7
3) Weld/CDI
4) HornetQ

I can present on EJB3.1 and JBoss AS7. Although I have some experience on Weld and HornetQ, I don't consider myself an expert on those topics. I'll see if we have someone around who can present on those topics on some subsequent dates.

On October 22nd, I'm planning a EJB3.1 presentation. I'll soon open a poll where you can vote whether you will be attending. That'll give me an idea on how many of you are attending and what arrangements need to be done.

P.S: This is a very informal user group and even beginners are encouraged to participate. So feel free to attend, participate in discussions.

-Jaikiran

Bhaskar Patle

Sep 26, 2011, 10:18:03 AM9/26/11
to jbug...@googlegroups.com
October 22nd is okay for me, but I think as it's going to be close to the vacation time for most of the people, they won't be able to participate (just a guess :) )

gaurav agarwal

Sep 26, 2011, 10:21:24 AM9/26/11
to jbug...@googlegroups.com
22nd october is a diwali pre week , so will be out of pune

jaikiran pai

Sep 26, 2011, 10:25:35 AM9/26/11
to jbug...@googlegroups.com
Hmm yeah, I missed that. I'm open for moving this to November 5th or November 12th. Does that work out for everyone?

-Jaikiran

Bhaskar Patle

Sep 26, 2011, 11:52:22 AM9/26/11
to jbug...@googlegroups.com
For sure Nov 5th or 12th will do..!!
+91-9766644275

Yogesh Patil

Sep 27, 2011, 11:57:54 AM9/27/11
to jbug...@googlegroups.com
I'll attend if it is anytime after Diwali week.

I can present on:

Drools ( 3 years exp.) which is so powerful and useful but people tend to ignore it on basis of performance and complexity. I've managed to push drools in 2 out of 3 companies in which I've worked and one of them is a leading product based company! I'll gladly present if anyone is interested. Drools' power (the WOW factor) is best conveyed through hands-on work-shop though as per my experience. We can do this if everyone brings a laptop.

HornetQ (working with JMS for 4 years): I've worked on JBossMQ and JBoss Messaging for 3 years. I'm currently working on ActiveMQ + JBOSS integrations for last one year and issues surrounding it. I'd spent a lot of time evaluating Hornet.

Let me know if you guys want me to present on any one of these.

Jaikiran: I'll definitely try to push for more attendance from my current company as well as previous ones and many others. Let me know if you guys have any materials to help me do that: emails(fancy)/photos/flyers(soft copy)  etc. (But I'll need venue, any entry fee and confirmed data to push though and company approved seminar attendance takes some time for approval from MGRs etc so please convey these details ASAP)

Also let me know if I can help in any other way.

Cheers,
Yogesh

jaikiran pai

Sep 27, 2011, 12:45:54 PM9/27/11
to jbug...@googlegroups.com
Yogesh, this is excellent! We've had a few JBUG sessions during the past couple of years, but most of the times it has been either me or someone from within our local RedHat office. We've been trying to get more community participation and your offer to present at one of these sessions is definitely a big step forward. Thank you for the same.

As for the topics you mentioned, we can arrange (separate) sessions for both HornetQ and Drools. One of the community members has expressed interest on HornetQ, so we can schedule that ahead of Drools, if everyone agrees.

Infact, now that we have multiple topics to present on, I think we can schedule 2 different topics on a single day (ofcourse with a few minutes of break in between). Right now I'm targeting November 5th as the date, so that we have enough time to spread the news and get more community participation and also help us prepare the necessary logistics. Does November 5th work out well for you, if you have to present on either of those 2 topics? And is it enough time to help you get approval from your company?

As for the entry free for JBUG sessions, it's completely free. I'll get back to you either on this mailing list (or privately) about the other details including the venue and advertising material ASAP (I have to get in touch with the right person at office).

-Jaikiran

Yogesh Patil

Sep 27, 2011, 1:42:52 PM9/27/11
to jbug...@googlegroups.com
November 5th works perfect for me.

One more topic I'd really like to hear is about the Technical Support (Enterprise Editions of various JBOSS products) provided for various JBOSS technologies (esp. those that are presented in event). I personally don't know much about this.

My reason is:
Slowly as you start to move ahead in decision making process in technology selection for your project/product; and if you are the pushing for great open source technology like JBOSS; the inevitable question you have to answer to your superiors or your client is about Technical Support. Now I've worked with few clients who were using the commercial support for years but I never understood the details. Recently I had to fought a fierce tele-conference battle regarding an open source technology vs A total commercial vendor with architects and developers all across globe from my company. I (or open source) won it in the end based on some performance numbers but the point I was most silent about was about getting professional help and support for the framework/server we are going to use.

Now I understand this is strictly non-technical topic but many will agree that this knowledge is absolute mandatory for convincing people who have budgets (product managers/clients) to adopt/upgrade technology stack. Even a 20 minutes brief will be great even if as the last presentation.

Also for the participation; I know that lot of companies (both Service based and Product based) are using JBOSS technology and its only a matter of getting the word through and many will attend this event. I personally know many people who are working with these technologies and will be interested to attend this event. And if it is free then it all boils down to is how fast we can get the word out that will determine the attendance.

Jaikiran & Guys: let's push last event's attendance number (10?) to 100 this year. I know all of us can manage to bring some really interested people to this event. Just give us ammo (advt. material & that too only soft copy) and we'll bring 'em all to event.

Cheers,
Yogesh

gaurav agarwal

Sep 28, 2011, 2:04:27 AM9/28/11
to jbug...@googlegroups.com
There is one more framework Seam ,Can we also include this topic in the session list on 5 Nov,

Stankov

Oct 7, 2011, 9:10:31 PM10/7/11
to jbug...@googlegroups.com, jaikir...@gmail.com
Hi Jaikiran,

Apologies for delay in reply. I was away.

Have a place which can accomodate 30 - 50 folks. Place is @ Yerwada.  It has projector and can arrange Tea/Snacks etc.
This is free. :-)

-SS

Sachin

Oct 20, 2011, 12:28:22 PM10/20/11
to JBoss User Group - Pune

Hi Jaikiran,

What is status on these sessions? I would love to attend this.

I can also help you guys for accommodation, I would like have session
on arquillian.

Never knew jboss's forum top participant hail from Pune :).

Between I am giving talk on Jboss Seam @ Java Pune Use Group, if
anyone interested do come, www.meetup.com/PuneJUG/events/36941062/

Thanks,

-- Sachin.

On Oct 8, 6:10 am, Stankov <suneil.sta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jaikiran,
>
> Apologies for delay in reply. I was away.
>
> Have a place which can accomodate 30 - 50 folks. Place is @ Yerwada.  It has
> projector and can arrange Tea/Snacks etc.
> This is free. :-)
>
> -SS
>
> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 12:02 PM, jaikiran pai <jaikiran....@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Last time we arranged this event, it was around 10 people. But this time I
> > want it to be much more and would want to here from the members on how many
> > of them will be willing to attend. The event is going to sometime early
> > October (and one more later) and it's going to be in Pune. So please reply
> > to this mail whoever is interested in attending. That'll give us a rough
> > estimate.
>
> > Suneil, what places do you have in mind for this? And how many participants
> > are a minimal required number for those venues?
>
> > -Jaikiran
>
> > On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 8:52 PM, Stankov <suneil.sta...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Hi,
>
> >> How many participants would be attending this.  I know couple of good
> >> venue for this.
>
> >> Regards

jaikiran pai

Nov 3, 2011, 5:19:33 AM11/3/11
to jbug...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sachin (and others),

Sorry I haven't been active lately and haven't sent an update on this. However, I have been in discussions trying to finalize a venue for this. The original idea was to arrange this in the RedHat Pune office to facilitate with the necessary arrangements and also to give you all an update on a upcoming event that we had all been planning. Unfortunately, the details of that event are still very hazy and I don't have all the necessary details around that. As a result, the planned November 5 meeting will have to be postponed. Irrespective of how things turn out, I do want this JBUG Pune event and future events to continue.

Sachin is presenting on JBoss Seam in a different event here www.meetup.com/PuneJUG/events/36941062/ on November 10th (next week Thursday) at 6PM. I'll be meeting him there and discussing some of the future plans for JBUG Pune events with him and others who attend that event. If anyone (Yogesh, Bhaskar?) from this group wants to meet and atttend the JBoss Seam event on next Thursday, please check the details in that link (and please do attend :) ). I'll send out a mail once I meet Sachin and others next Thursday.

-Jaikiran

Bhaskar Patle

Nov 3, 2011, 5:29:58 AM11/3/11
to jbug...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for updates Jai,

As the November 10th event on Jboss Seam is on working day I am not sure but I will try to attend the same as Jboss Seam is in particular area of my interest :)
Regards,

Bhaskar Y. Patle