Gauging how much endogamy we have

Cheri Mello

Oct 11, 2021, 10:59:53 AM10/11/21
to Azores Genealogy, madeira-...@googlegroups.com, Island...@googlegroups.com
Cross posted to Azores, Madeira, and IslandRoutes lists.

I closely follow things on endogamy since we came from islands that heavily intermarried. Leah Larkin, PhD, aka The DNA Geek, has made heat maps of various endogamous populations and is trying to assign degrees of endogamy to the various groups, ranging from mild to moderate to strong. I'd like our DNA included in her study.

How to participate:

1) You need 2, 3, or 4 GRANDPARENTS to be Azorean OR Madeiran.

2) You need your DNA at MyHeritage or have transferred to MyHeritage. Ancestry instructions will come in a couple of days in another email (not sure I can get the tool to work on Windows). So, for My Heritage, log in, go to your "DNA Matches" (labeled 1) and then go to the 3 vertical dots (labeled 2):
image.png

3) Once you click the 3 vertical dots, a new menu drops down. Click on Export entire DNA Matches list (circled)

image.png

4) Once the list is emailed to you, just forward it to me. Include the name of the testee and how many Azorean or Madeiran grandparents the person has. You can do this for all kits that you manage, just as long as the testee has 2, 3, or 4 Azorean or Madeiran grandparents.

I will recode the name of the testee, strip the identifying information and send only the "Total cM shared", "Number of shared segments", and "Largest segment (cM)" as that is all that is needed for Leah's study.

Not on MyHeritage yet? I'll send another email on that.

Cheri Mello, Family Tree DNA Administrator (volunteer)

Mike Tavares

Oct 12, 2021, 11:11:53 AM10/12/21
to island...@googlegroups.com

Cheri,

Do you want the extracted or the compressed file?

V/R

Mike

Michael J. Tavares

12037 W 66th St

Shawnee, KS 66216

Cell: 913.240.3274

Email: Michael.j...@gmail.com

The greatest among you must be a servant. - Matthew 23:11 (NLT)

[...]

image001.png
image002.png

Cheri Mello

Oct 12, 2021, 11:15:45 AM10/12/21
to island...@googlegroups.com
Just forward me the email with the file in its native state. I don't remember if it was compressed or not. I can deal with that on my end. Thanks!
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Cheri Mello

Oct 22, 2021, 12:39:46 PM10/22/21
to Azores Genealogy, madeira-...@googlegroups.com, Island...@googlegroups.com
Cross posted to Azores, Madeira, and IslandRoutes lists.

Just a reminder that we'd like more DNA data to figure out how much endogamy (intermarriage) exists in the Azores and Madeira compared to other endogamous populations. I'm doing a great job getting the information from MY own cousins, but we need a good cross section of ALL Azorean islands as well as Madeira. Please try to do this soon. Here is the original message (and I'm working on getting the tool that I need to convert Ancestry DNA's results).
===================
I closely follow things on endogamy since we came from islands that heavily intermarried. Leah Larkin, PhD, aka The DNA Geek, has made heat maps of various endogamous populations and is trying to assign degrees of endogamy to the various groups, ranging from mild to moderate to strong. I'd like our DNA included in her study.

How to participate:

1) You need 2, 3, or 4 GRANDPARENTS to be Azorean OR Madeiran.

2) You need your DNA at MyHeritage or have transferred to MyHeritage. Ancestry instructions will come soon in another email (not sure I can get the tool to work on Windows). So, for My Heritage, log in, go to your "DNA Matches" (labeled 1) and then go to the 3 vertical dots (labeled 2):
image.png

3) Once you click the 3 vertical dots, a new menu drops down. Click on Export entire DNA Matches list (circled)

image.png

4) Once the list is emailed to you, just forward it to me. Include the name of the testee and how many Azorean or Madeiran grandparents the person has. You can do this for all kits that you manage, just as long as the testee has 2, 3, or 4 Azorean or Madeiran grandparents.

I will recode the name of the testee, strip the identifying information and send only the "Total cM shared", "Number of shared segments", and "Largest segment (cM)" as that is all that is needed for Leah's study.

Cheri Mello, Family Tree DNA Administrator (volunteer)

Cheri Mello

Oct 24, 2021, 1:25:19 PM10/24/21
to Luis Beal, madeira-...@googlegroups.com, Azores Genealogy, Island...@googlegroups.com
Hi Luis,

Your mom's would be more useful, but send yours too, for a comparison. I can send you the transfer directions. I think I sent them under a new thread. I'll just forward it to you.
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

On Sun, Oct 24, 2021 at 10:17 AM Luis Beal <luis...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Cheri,

I only have 2 Madeiran grandparents  but my mother has 4. I have my DNA at My Heritage but not my mother's, which would be more useful to send for the endogamy test?

Luis Beal

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 12:39, Cheri Mello

Cheri Mello

Oct 24, 2021, 1:43:54 PM10/24/21
to Azores Genealogy, madeira-...@googlegroups.com, Island...@googlegroups.com
Someone asked me if they should send the data from all of their first cousins who share the same set of grandparents. Now I can't find your email (I'm suffering from lack of sleep because of spammy text messages at 3:30 in the morning, waking me up). YES, go ahead and send the files for your first cousins who share the same grandparents.