Re: [IslandRoutes] Digest for islandroutes@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic

Mary Kent

Jul 15, 2021, 1:52:18 PM7/15/21
to island...@googlegroups.com
Cheri,

Thanks for the info!  I’m very interested in visiting the plantation village.

I’ll see if the Genealogical & Cultural Center is open while we are there so I can visit. I don’t expect to find info on my specific family as they didn’t stay long in HI, although at least one of my Grand-aunts was born there.

We will be doing other touristy things as well.

Mary Mederios Kent
722 North Overlook Dr.
Alexandria, VA 22305

On Jul 15, 2021, at 12:04 PM, island...@googlegroups.com wrote:

Mary Kent <marym...@gmail.com>: Jul 15 11:22AM -0400

I’m going to be visiting Oahu, the big island, and Kauai in October. I’d like to investigate the Portuguese cultural influences in Hawaii as my grandfather immigrated there (and subsequently to California) from the Azores in the 1880s. I see that there is the Portuguese Genealogical and Historical Society of Hawaii in Honolulu, which is open a few days a week. Is that worth a visit if I want to learn more about this history? Are there other places in any of the islands that have historical information about Portuguese immigrants?

Also, are the books you would recommend on this topic?

I am grateful for any help with this.

Mary Kent

Mary Mederios Kent
722 North Overlook Dr.
Alexandria, VA 22305

marym...@gmail.com <mailto:marym...@gmail.com>
Cheri Mello <gfsc...@gmail.com>: Jul 15 08:48AM -0700

Hi Mary K,

I went to HI 10 or 12 years ago with a couple of friends. I didn't go to
the Portuguese Genealogical and Historical Society of Hawaii (my friends
wouldn't have been interested and my ancestors did not migrate to HI), but
my friends and I did go to a plantation. I just did a search and I'm pretty
sure it's this one: http://hawaiiplantationvillage.org/ It has a little
bit of Portuguese mentioned there. I remember walking around the Portuguese
village there.

We also did the Dole Plantation tour (nothing about Portuguese there), the
U.S.S. Arizona, the Polynesian Cultural Center, and a luau. None of those
has anything to do with Portuguese though. My friends just wanted to see
other tourist things.

Have fun,
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen