First Portuguese immigration ship arrival

Eric E

Dec 17, 2013, 11:35:28 AM12/17/13
to island...@googlegroups.com
This is the contemporary newspaper story with passenger list of the arrival of the first of the immgrant ships from Madeira to Hawaii , the Priscilla

Eric Edgar
The Pacific commercial advertiser., October 05, 1878 passengers.jpg

Terri Sager

Dec 17, 2013, 8:27:00 PM12/17/13
to island...@googlegroups.com
Eric,

Very interesting info. Do you know the date and newspaper this came from? Don't know if you were sending this to someone specific, but thank you just the same. I see a Cruz listed. Could be Cruz relation? It's worth checking out.

Terri

Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 08:35:28 -0800
From: nobla...@gmail.com
To: island...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [IslandRoutes] First Portuguese immigration ship arrival

This is the contemporary newspaper story with passenger list of the arrival of the first of the immgrant ships from Madeira to Hawaii , the Priscilla

Eric Edgar

luiznoia .

Dec 17, 2013, 9:19:00 PM12/17/13
to island...@googlegroups.com
Terri,

It's on the title of the image , 5 Oct 1878 , The Pacific Commercial Advertiser

The Portuguese migration to Hawaii was fueled by poor economic conditions in the mother country, and
particularly in Madeira. The production and export of fine wines had been for many years the mainstay of the
Madeiran economy. During the 1850’s, however, the vineyards were laid waste by a blight that crippled the wine
industry for decades. Unemployment and hunger followed the destruction of the vineyards. As conditions worsened,
Madeirans looked for a better way of life in Brazil, the United States and Hawaii.

During this same period, the Kingdom of Hawaii was in need of laborers for her sugar plantations. The large scale
cultivation of sugar depended upon a continuous supply of inexpensive labor. The demand for plantation
workers increased after Hawaii concluded a Reciprocity Treaty with the United States in 1876, which facilitated the
exportation of Hawaiian sugar. The dramatic decline of the Hawaiian population had caused planters and government
officials to look abroad for suitable immigrants to work the land and increase the population of the Kingdom. Several
thousand Chinese emigrated to Hawaii during the 1860’s and 1870’s. Yet the Chinese seldom brought their families,
and distinct cultural differences between the Chinese and other residents of Hawaii caused many of the latter to
demand an end to the large scale importation of workers from China.

In 1876, Mr. Jacintho Pereira, a Portuguese citizen and proprietor of a successful dry goods store in Honolulu,
came forward with an interesting idea. Pereira suggested that the Hawaiian government investigate the possibility of
solving Hawaii’s labor and population problems by encouraging the immigration of Portuguese from Madeira. The
government contacted Dr. William Hillebrand who was living at that time in Funchal. Hillbrand acted as Hawaii’s
agent, and carried out all of the details required to place the first contingent of Portuguese immigrants aboard the
Priscilla."

Eric Edgar

Terri Sager

Dec 17, 2013, 9:39:36 PM12/17/13
to island...@googlegroups.com
Eric,

Thank you for the newspaper and history info.  This Cruz could still be relation. I just need to find info on my Great Great Grandfather Cruz and where exactly he came from. Also, I haven't ruled out this Pereira (or other spellings of this name) as being among the Perry relation I am looking for. Again, I still need to find more info on my Great Grandmother Perry and her ancestors.

Terri

Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 18:19:00 -0800
From: nobla...@gmail.com
To: island...@googlegroups.com

Dano

Dec 18, 2013, 10:27:57 PM12/18/13
to island...@googlegroups.com
Eric,
Your story is mostly correct, however, Hillebrand, was interested in Portuguese from all areas, particularly, the Azores and Madeira. One other note - the Priscilla voyage from Madeira wasn't the first ship to disembark Portuguese immigrants in Hawaii. There were Portuguese in Hawaii prior to 1879 (see Edgar Knowlton "They Came in Ships - Book 2)."

Marily Badger

Dec 18, 2013, 10:43:24 PM12/18/13
to island...@googlegroups.com
Hi Terri & Eric,

My great great grandmother was Ana Louisa Perriera or Perry.  Her brother was Jason (Jacinto) Perry.  When my great grandfather Joseph Perry Mendonca arrived in Hawaii, he came knowing his uncle was already established in Hawaii.  Is this the Perry connection you are looking for?

Eric,

I would love to know if you have access to the ship Manifest that my great grandfather  came in on from the Azores?  He arrived in 1864 as a galley hand on a whaling ship, but our family has never been able to find the name of that ship.  The link to his webpage on ancestry is

Any new information you may have on him would be greatly appreciated!

Mahalo

luiznoia .

Dec 18, 2013, 11:34:48 PM12/18/13
to island...@googlegroups.com
Dano,

The story is copied directly from the Azores government report on Azores to Hawaii immigration.

JOHN HENRY FELIX, PH. D. & PETER F. SENECAL, PH.D.
Excerpt from “The Portuguese in Hawaii”

Eric Edgar

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 7:27 PM, Dano <dpa...@gmail.com> wrote:
Eric,
Your story is mostly correct, however, Hillebrand, was interested in Portuguese from all areas, particularly, the Azores and Madeira. One other note - the Priscilla voyage from Madeira wasn't the first ship to disembark Portuguese immigrants in Hawaii. There were Portuguese in Hawaii prior to 1879 (see Edgar Knowlton "They Came in Ships - Book 2)."

luiznoia .

Dec 18, 2013, 11:40:23 PM12/18/13
to island...@googlegroups.com
Here is the full text :

THE MIGRATION TO HAWAII
The great migration of Portuguese settlers from Madeira, the Azores and the Portuguese mainland to Hawaii was
during the years 1878 to 1913. The story is of epic proportions, involving the movement across two oceans of more
than twenty thousand people. Although the great migration of Portuguese to Hawaii began in 1878, a small number
of Portuguese were present in the Hawaiian Islands as early as 1787. Little is known about these early Portuguese
residents. They came to Hawaii as whalers and other seamen who took to the land for one reason or another while
their ships were harbored in the Islands. The first Portuguese identified by name was João Elliot de Castro who
arrived in Hawaii about 1814 and served on the personal staff of King Kamehameha the Great.
The early Portuguese became recognized for their hard work and thrift. They generally purchased land as soon
as they were financially able. Some became cattle ranchers and dairymen, and others engaged in various agricultural
pursuits. Their numbers increased gradually during the Nineteenth Century until, on the eve of the great migration,
there were over four hundred Portuguese in the Hawaiian Kingdom.
[...]
The essays examine the reasons why the Portuguese came to Hawaii, the grave difficulties of their journey, and
their arrival and employment in the new land.
Significant Events of Portuguese in Hawaii
1527-31 Spanish Ships, possibly with Portuguese navigators, shipwrecked on the Big Island (Hawaii).
João Gaetano, who may have been Portuguese, (he may also have been Spanish or Italian) in the service of
Spain, sails west from Mexico and discovers a group of islands in the mid-Pacific, which he called “Isla de
Mesa Group” and may have been the Hawaiian Islands.
1778 Capt. Cook “Rediscovers” the Hawaiian Islands.
1542
37
1785 12 Portuguese British sailors arrived from Macao.
1787 Portuguese Sailors likely on board the Nootka, Captained by Meares arrived in Hawaii.
Portuguese sailors are known to have arrived in Hawaii aboard the Iphegenia and Felice from Portuguese
Macao with Captains John Meares and William Douglas.
1790 Portuguese sailors are known to have arrived in Hawaii aboard the American brig Elenora.
1814 João Elliot d’Castro becomes Secretary to King Kamehameha I.
1853 Census shows 87 Portuguese in Hawaii.
Jacinto Perreira, a Portuguese merchant residing in Hawaii recommends to the Kingdom the immigration of
Portuguese to Hawaii to help solve the labor problems.
1877 The St. Antonio Society, a Portuguese benevolent association, is established in Honolulu.
1878 Census shows more than 400 Portuguese in Hawaii.
The ship Priscilla arrives in Honolulu harbor on September 30. 1878 with the first major contingent of Portuguese
immigrants to Hawaii (about 120 men, women and children).
The ship Ravenscrag arrives in Honolulu harbor on August 23, 1879 with the second large group of Portuguese
settlers in Hawaii (419 men, women and children). These settlers brought with them the Portuguese braguinha,
the instrument that became the ‘ukulele.
1882 The Government of Hawaii signs an immigration treaty with Portugal.
1893 Portuguese support the establishment of the Hawaiian Republic.
1900 Portuguese population numbers 18,272, approximately 12% of the total population of the Hawaiian Islands.
1900 to Period of Portuguese migration from the plantations to Honolulu and other towns.
1930 The Portuguese enter business and skilled trades in increasing numbers.
The Ascot arrives in Honolulu harbor with 1,283 Portuguese immigrants aboard. This ship is usually considered
the last of the 29 immigrant ships.
Eight citizens of Portuguese ancestry are elected to the Hawaii Territorial Legislature. First elected woman
legislator was half Portuguese/half Hawaiian Rosalie Enos Lyons Keliinoi.
1926 Antonio J. Perry is appointed Chief Justice, Supreme Court of Hawaii.
1926 Bishop Stephen Alencastre is placed in charge of the Roman Catholic Church in the Hawaiian Islands.
1788
1876
1878
1879
1913
1925
38
1930 to Period of virtually complete assimilation of Portuguese into the mainstream of
1950/59 Island life.
1967 Portuguese population is estimated at 21,270.
Governor George Ariyoshi establishes the Portuguese Centennial Commission on March 21, celebrating the
Commencement of the “Major immigration” (1878-1978).
Hawaii Council on Portuguese Heritage established as umbrella organization for all Portuguese organizations
in the State of Hawaii.
The Portuguese in Hawaii celebrate their Centennial with the visit of the Ambassador of Portugal and many
other events culminating in the Centennial Celebration of the arrival of the Priscilla on September 30, 1978.
1978 The Portuguese naval training ship Sagres arrives in Honolulu on a voyage of goodwill, November, 1978.
1979 The Portuguese Chamber of Commerce is established in Hawaii, July 11, 1979.
The people of Hawaii celebrate the centennial of the arrival of the ‘ukulele in Hawaii with a festive commemoration
at the State Capitol, on August 23, 1979.
1988 Bicentennial Celebration of the first immigration of Portuguese to arrive in Hawaii.
1990 Governor John Waihee establishes the Portuguese Bicentennial SteeringCommittee.
Ships bearing Portuguese Settlers to Hawaii, 1878-1913
1. September 30, 1878
Ship Priscilla (German bark) arrived 116 days out from Funchal, Madeira, with 80 men, 40 women, 60 children.
Total 180. (Portuguese consular documents indicate approximately 120 passengers).
2. August 23, 1879
Ship Ravenscrag (British) arrived 123 days out from Madeira with 133 men, 110 women, 176 children. Total 419.
3. January 24, 1880
Ship High Flyer (British bark) arrived 99 days out from St. Michael, Azores, with 109 men, 81 women, 147 children.
Total 337.
4. May 2, 1881
Ship High Flyer (British bark) arrived 130 days out from St. Michael, Azores, with 173 men, 66 women, 113 children.
Total 352.
5. August 25, 1881
Ship Suffolk (British bark) arrived 102 days out from St. Michael, Azores, with 206 men, 100 women, 182 children.
Total 488.
1978
1978
1978
1979
39
6. March 27, 1882
Ship Earl Delhausie (British bark) arrived 113 days out from St. Michael, Azores, with 94 men, 82 women, 146
children. Total 322.
7. June 8, 1882
Steamship Monarch (British) arrived 57 days out from St. Michael, Azores, with 202 men, 197 women, 458 children.
Total 857.
8. September 15, 1882
Steamship Hansa (British) arrived 70 days out from Azores, with 307 men, 286 women, 584 children. Total 1177.
9. May 4, 1883
Steamship Abergeldie (British) arrived 62 days out from Azores, with 264 men, 190 women, 484 children. Total
938.
10. July 9, 1883
Steamship Hankow (British) arrived 66 days out from St. Michael, Azores, & Madeira with 427 men, 317 women,
718 children. Total 1462.
11. November 1, 1883
Steamship Bell Rock (British) arrived 99 days out from Azores, with 109 men, 81 women,147 children. Total 337.
12. June 13, 1884
Steamship City of Paris (British) arrived 74 days out from Madeira & St. Michael, Azores, with 295 men, 199
women, 330 children. Total 824.
13. October 3, 1884
Steamship Bordeaux (French) arrived 72 days out from Madeira, with 273 men, 173 women, 262 children. Total
708.
14. January 19, 1885
Ship Daca (British) arrived 114 days out from Madeira, with 63 men, 50 women, 165 children. Total 278.
15. March 4, 1886
Ship Stirlingshire (British) arrived 112 days out from Madeira, with 157 men, 107 women, 203 children. Total 467.
16. September 23, 1886
Ship Amana (British) arrived 142 days out from Madeira, with 146 men, 116 women, 239 children. Total 501.
17. April 13, 1888
Bark Thomas Bell (British) arrived 156 days out from Madeira, with 117 men, 62 women, 163 children. Total 342.
18. April 4, 1895
Steamship Braunfels (German) arrived 68 days out from Ponta Delgada, Azores, with 274 men, 124 women, 259
children. Total 657.
40
19. September 13, 1899
Steamship Victoria (British) arrived 67 days out from Madeira, with 215 men, 56 women, 72 children. Total 343.
20. December 24, 1900
Steamship Warrimo from Vancouver with 60 men, 14 women, 18 children. Total 92.
21. December 1, 1906
Steamship Suveric from Montevideo, with 459 men, 283 women, 582 children. Total 1324.
22. April 26, 1907
Steamship Heliopolis (Spanish) from Fayal, Azores & Malaga, with 608 men, 554 women, 1084 children. Total
2246.
23. June 27, 1907
Steamship Kumeric from Funchal, Madeira, with 333 men, 306 women, 457 children. Total 1114.
24. December 12, 1909
Steamship Swanley from Madeira and Azores, with 337 men, 221 women, 310 children. Total 868.
25. April 13, 1911
Steamship Osteric from Madeira and continent, with 547 men, 373 women, 531 children. Total 1451.
26. December 3, 1911
Steamship Willesden from Azores and continent, with 639 men, 400 women, 758 children. Total 1797.
27. April 16, 1912
Steamship Harpalien from Azores and continent, with 496 men, 328 women, 626 children. Total 1450.
28. March 30, 1913
Steamship Willesden from Islands and continent, with 491 men, 377 women, 440 children. Total 1308.
29. June 4, 1913
Steamship Ascot from Islands and continent, with 424 men, 327 women, 532 children. Total 1283.
JOHN HENRY FELIX, PH. D. & PETER F. SENECAL, PH.D.
Excerpt from “The Portuguese in Hawaii”

Dano

Dec 19, 2013, 7:08:08 PM12/19/13
to island...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the history lesson, Eric :). I wasn't changing your account - just expanding on it

Dano

Dec 19, 2013, 8:00:09 PM12/19/13
to island...@googlegroups.com
Eric, I note a little displeasure at my comment. Accuracy is important, and there's plenty of room to vet historical accounts which differ. You indicated the book you were quoting was an "Azorean" government document. Actually, the Azores didn't have a "government" until approx. 1974, so unless that book was published in the last 30 or so years, it was a "Portuguese" government document. As for my interest in the Portuguese migration to Hawaii, it stems from relatively recent research - some of which was arrived at accidentally. With the help of Island Routes, and Melody Lassalle, I was put in touch with PGHSH which provided great help on several of my links. My earliest ancestors to Hawaii arrived aboard the High Flyer, in 1883, as part of the great migration." While some of their descendants relocated to the mainland, descendants of those families continue to live on in Hawaii. A photo of that first family appears on page 36 of Portuguese Hawaiian Memories under the caption Joseph Leite Mendonca.

Terri Sager

Dec 19, 2013, 9:09:27 PM12/19/13
to island...@googlegroups.com

Aloha Marily,

I don't know if your Perry's are the ones I am looking for. The only info I have found shows my great grandmother was Rebecca Helen Perry, daughter of William Perry, born in Hawaii around 1874 or 1878.

Terri

From: glasa...@gmail.com
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 19:43:24 -0800
To: island...@googlegroups.com

Marily Badger

Dec 19, 2013, 9:24:46 PM12/19/13
to island...@googlegroups.com

Hi Terry,

I hope you can get on and take a look at Anna Luisa Perry’s profile and go from there.  I went way up her line through the Portuguese data on Genweb.  My great grandparents are buried in Oahu Cemetery and there are some Perry burial plots close by Makai of ours.  Any relation?  Even I wonder if they could be related as well.  So far I can’t see that Anna Luisa ever left the Azores but her kids sure did.

I guess I will have to get a copy of Portuguese Hawaiian Memories to get any additional info on my great grandfather J.P. Mendonca.  I can’t get any info from PGHSH no matter how much I communicate with them.  The other books that are mentioned on this forum are simply unavailable!

It would be very interesting to see if there is a connection here.  If you think there is let me know.  I live in Bend, OR though the rest of my family is still local.  I miss da food!

Aloha,

Marily

Terri Sager

Dec 19, 2013, 10:02:02 PM12/19/13
to island...@googlegroups.com

Hi Marily,

That was a fast reply. Thanks for the info. I'll have to check all of it out including the book you mentioned.  I have seen it referred to several times.

My great grandparents were John M Cruz and Rebecca Helen Perry, both born in Hawaii. The marriage certificate shows Helen Perry with father William Perry living in Waianae. The 1910 census shows Helen Cruze. The 1930 census shows Rebecca Cruz. My great grandmother's obit and death certificate show Rebecca Helen Cruz. My Grandfather's birth and marriage certificates show his parents as John Cruz and Rebecca Perry. That's all I have on Rebecca. I haven't found her anywhere else or come up with any specific birth date. Still looking, though. I'm checking out Portuguese possibilities because my parents always said we were Hawaiian Portuguese. I didn't know Perry was a Portuguese name until a couple of years ago when I finally found enough info on Cruz's to start searching. My parents always said we were Hawaiian Portuguese. Don't which side was the Portuguese, perhaps both.

And you thought Oregon was far from Hawaii? Try Kansas. I've never been to Hawaii. The only Hawaiian relatives I have ever met are my Dad and one of his brothers.

I'll let you know if I find any connection. Thanks for the help.

To: island...@googlegroups.com
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 18:24:46 -0800

Marily Badger

Dec 19, 2013, 11:11:46 PM12/19/13
to island...@googlegroups.com
OK Dorothy!  Hang onto Toto.  I have driven through there with a 36' 5th wheel attached and sirens going off everywhere!  Wow.  What an experience I don't care to repeat  You are far away.  Both of your parents were Portuguese.  Finding out where the Hawaiian came in should show in their parents or grandparents.  You say your dad lived in Waianae.  I would look closely on your dads side first.  Portugee's don't live in Waianae for nothing.  That's Loco Moco territory for sure.  He had to have some Hawaiian family close by.  Hawaiian records are not as well kept as we would all like them to have been and it was not uncommon for a children to have been Hanai'd, (given away), to other families since one Tita might have had a "Dirty Dozen" and her sister might have had none. As was the case with Queen Liliokalani. This makes especially difficult for us.

luiznoia .

Dec 20, 2013, 11:32:48 AM12/20/13
to island...@googlegroups.com
Dano,

I tried to attach the report document, but it's too large.

It's from the December 2009 release of the Direccao Regional das Communidades.

Eric

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 5:00 PM, Dano <dpa...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Dano

Dec 21, 2013, 10:33:59 AM12/21/13
to island...@googlegroups.com
Eric, that website is amazing!!! The source material on the Immigration to Hawaii is exhaustive, and, the other articles provide insight to areas one would not readily consider to be part of the Azorean diaspora. I literally spent hours last night reading through the various articles, and, I still haven't finished.

Marily Badger

Dec 21, 2013, 1:54:33 PM12/21/13
to island...@googlegroups.com
Hello Eric,

I would like to know how to be able to read this website in english.  All of my relatives are from the Azores and this looks like a great portal for informatoin.

cbde...@caltel.com

Dec 21, 2013, 3:35:27 PM12/21/13
to island...@googlegroups.com

Marily Badger, look on the top right hand corner, you can change the language.

Marily Badger

Dec 21, 2013, 3:54:37 PM12/21/13
to island...@googlegroups.com

Bruce Fox

Dec 21, 2013, 3:25:42 PM12/21/13
to island...@googlegroups.com
Marily,

There is a "change language" button on the upper/middle right hand side of the opening page.  It has "eng" next to it and it will change the format to English...
Happy reading,
Bruce