FTDNA's Ethnicity ESTIMATES, revisited

Cheri Mello

Sep 29, 2020, 11:44:06 AM9/29/20
to Azores Genealogy, madeira-...@googlegroups.com, Island...@googlegroups.com
(Cross posted to Azores, Madeira, and IslandRoutes)

This blurb was apparently written by an FTDNA employee, named Katy. It is NOT the White Paper, but does explain a little bit more about the ethnicity ESTIMATES (or populations, which they keep calling "Pops" (that sounds like a nickname for a dad).

The geneticist in charge is Dr. Paul Maier. He's a recent graduate, it seems (maybe 3 years ago). I took a wild guess that his work was with salamanders. I wasn't that far off. It was with toads. An Internet search shows he's done a lot of research, but toads were his thing.

FTDNA has a tendency to have a *some what* better ethnicity ESTIMATE every other time or so. This is not that time, it seems. :(

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada