Family Tree DNA sale at RootsTech

Cheri Mello

Feb 26, 2021, 4:14:36 PM2/26/21
to Azores Genealogy, madeira-...@googlegroups.com, Island...@googlegroups.com
(Announcement cross-posted to Azores, Madeira, and IslandRoutes lists)

Family Tree DNA (FTDNA) is a virtual exhibitor at RootsTech. This year, RootsTech is a free event. Although there no classes on Portuguese genealogy exist, you may find other classes on genealogy software, DNA, research strategies, etc. They have over 1500 lectures (most are under 30 minutes each), all for free!

You need a FamilySearch account (it's free) and you can sign up here:

The list of 1500+ classes that you can watch at your convenience is here:

Over in the "Exhibitor Hall" are many companies, selling their products. FTDNA is having a sale for those attending RootsTech. In addition to Y-DNA, mtDNA, and autosomal DNA (Family Finder) being on sale, they put the tools for those transferring from other companies on sale.

So if you tested with Ancestry, My Heritage, or 23andMe, you can transfer to FTDNA for free and get the matches for free, but the tools (ethnicity estimate, Parental Matching tool, Chromosome Browser, etc) cost $19 USD. For RootsTech attendees, it's $9 USD. FTDNA rarely does this (once every 4 years?? It's been a long time)! So if you tested somewhere else, transfer over to FTDNA and unlock the tools for $9 USD.

Remember, it's supposed to be for RootsTech attendees. If you are having "problems" signing up for RootsTech so you can get the code, I can give you a lot of help overcoming that "problem." (Do A LOT of reading between the lines on that). Just send me an email at gfscherim at gmail.com and I'll help.

Cheri Mello, Family Tree DNA Administrator (volunteer)

J Earl Medeiros

Mar 4, 2021, 1:52:08 PM3/4/21
to island...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cheri, I have taken out a new Ancestry membership but they used a different ID on the account is there a way to combine the information on these 2 accounts?
Bud

J. Earl (Bud) Medeiros

Cheri Mello

Mar 4, 2021, 1:57:28 PM3/4/21
to island...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bud,

I was sharing the announcement about the DNA sale for those who have not tested at Family Tree DNA (FTDNA). I just wanted to let folks know that they can transfer their DNA over to FTDNA.

Ancestry Membership subscriptions are something different. I have no idea what Ancestry does with duplicate memberships. I'd call them. Their U.S. customer service number is (800) 615-6560.
Hope this helps,
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

J Earl Medeiros

Mar 4, 2021, 2:57:04 PM3/4/21
to island...@googlegroups.com
Thank you I will call them. How do I do the transfer of the DNA results?

J. Earl (Bud) Medeiros

Cheri Mello

Mar 4, 2021, 2:58:06 PM3/4/21
to island...@googlegroups.com
I will start a new thread with instructions.