Purple

Phil Walsh

Aug 17, 2016, 11:13:20 PM8/17/16
to ishmailites@googlegroups com
In a brief interlude early in chapter three of The Confidence-Man, we meet "a purple-faced drover" as he is "putting his large purple hand on the cripple's bushy wool." Does anyone want to speculate on the significance of the color purple here?

Thanks for any thoughts,

Phil Walsh

Stephen Hoy

Aug 20, 2016, 1:53:19 PM8/20/16
to ishma...@googlegroups.com
I think papal purple, aligning with drover & wool, evokes a flock of sheep.

In a brief interlude early in chapter three of The Confidence-Man, we meet "a purple-faced drover" as he is "putting his large purple hand on the cripple's bushy wool." Does anyone want to speculate on the significance of the color purple here?

Thanks for any thoughts,

Phil Walsh

Phil Walsh

Aug 20, 2016, 11:25:20 PM8/20/16
to ishmailites@googlegroups com

Thanks. It's an interesting little passage. Entirely self-contained. No parts of it appear anywhere else in the chapter--not the drover, not the name "Black Guinea," not the color purple, etc. It feels as though it was (or at least certainly could have been) inserted after the rest of the chapter was already finished. Don't see yet what it's there for.

--Phil

Ffrangcon Lewis

Aug 21, 2016, 9:41:10 AM8/21/16
to ishma...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,
                 It is a curious expression, isn't it?  The notion of papal purple people is impressive if slightly vertiginous, but, if you'll forgive a moment's levity, perhaps I could say that in my location, drovers were very significant people who would escort hapless livestock on foot from West Wales to London. Rather like cowboys, they were probably prone to thirst, and some might easily have developed non-papal complexions, especially on a Saturday night on arrival at their destination.

Cheers,
Ffrangcon Lewis

I think papal purple, aligning with drover & wool, evokes a flock of sheep.

Aug 21, 2016, 9:47:06 AM8/21/16
to ishmailites
A floating pericope, like the Woman Taken in Adultery in John 8 (or elsewhere)? (The passage in its extraneousness, not the color purple, which may be prophetic.

Leland Bryant Ross aka Ros' Haruo (呂須春男)
Delegito en Seattle, Universala Esperanto-Asocio
My Hymn Blog | Mia Himna Blogo — The Seattle Esperanto Society
Sankta Harmonio (formnotacia libro plurlingva) — Biblioteko Culbert

Phil Walsh

Stephen Hoy

Aug 22, 2016, 4:44:15 PM8/22/16
to Ishmailites
If we take a hand-on-brow from the purple-faced drover as a stand-in for a blessing from a shepherd of the church (whether Pope, Bishop, Pastor, or Elder), we perceive a fine sense of irony in the answer to the question: "And who is your master, Guinea?"

Whether Black Guinea represents an incarnate deity or a polled satan, the answer would be the same:
"Oh, sir, I am der dog widout massa."

Phil Walsh

Aug 22, 2016, 4:55:39 PM8/22/16
to ishma...@googlegroups.com
The whole passage is shot-through with religious imagery, and at multiple levels, isn't it.

Ffrangcon Lewis

Aug 25, 2016, 3:22:21 PM8/25/16
to ishma...@googlegroups.com
This sounds persuasive to me, especially the point about the 'doubloon' answer offered by Black Guinea.

Ffrangcon Lewis