Great American Confidence Men

Hardeman

Mar 4, 2016, 12:27:21 PM3/4/16
to Ishmailites
With so little activity on Ismailites one might hope for some response to Melville's insight into that American gift to the English Lexicon for "confidence."  The concept of "The Confidence Man" which evolved out of the 19th century American Jacksonian populism is now in full bloom in our current presidential confidence game. Melville examined its lesser consequences on steamboat but now the implications for the nation as a whole might find some useful patterns so artfully illustrated in the CM. Others might find this NYTimes opinion piece helpful in bringing us up to date.

Hardeman

Gordon Poole

Mar 4, 2016, 2:43:09 PM3/4/16
to ishma...@googlegroups.com

Dear Hardeman:

                Well said!

                               Gordon Poole

With so little activity on Ismailites one might hope for some response to Melville's insight into that American gift to the English Lexicon for "confidence."  The concept of "The Confidence Man" which evolved out of the 19th century American Jacksonian populism is now in full bloom in our current presidential confidence game. Melville examined its lesser consequences on steamboat but now the implications for the nation as a whole might find some useful patterns so artfully illustrated in the CM. Others might find this NYTimes opinion piece helpful in bringing us up to date.

Hardeman

Phil Walsh

Mar 4, 2016, 3:05:40 PM3/4/16
to ishma...@googlegroups.com
Hmm. Maybe I can extract some good out of the current presidential campaign season by using it as a prompt to finally read CM...