Bill Dowling, Houston Fireman, 2014 Grand Marshal St Patrick's Parade

rdoo...@swbell.net

Feb 20, 2014, 2:55:02 PM2/20/14
Houston St. Patrick's Day Parade
The 55th Annual Houston St. Patrick's Parade
Produced by the Houston St. Patrick's Parade Commission
Saturday, March 15th, 2014 at Noon-Rain or Shine!
The Irish Salute Houston's First Responders: Number One In Our Hearts Always

2014 Grand Marshal:
William “Bill” Dowling, Houston Fire Department
Captain Bill Dowling
As many of you know the Houston Fire Department lost four members on May 31, 2013 in a 5-alarm motel fire.

Captain William (Bill) Dowling was trapped and severely injured in the fire. Captain Dowling was in critical condition and due to his injuries both legs were amputated.

Captain Dowling is a married father of 3 and he and his family are residents of the Spring area. His wife, Jacki is a PE teacher at Frank Elementary in Gleannloch. The fire captain is supported by a close-knit family with deep religious faith and ties to Houston's earliest days.

One of the first Dowlings to reach the city in 1850 was Richard “Dick” William Dowling, a red-haired Irish immigrant and an astute businessman who opened a number of popular saloons. Dick Dowling was a founding member of Houston's Hook and Ladder Company Number One fire department and was also involved in running the city's first streetcar company. During the Civil War, Lt. Dowling commanded an artillery battery at Sabine Pass in 1863 that repulsed a powerful squadron of union warships, according to the Texas State Historical Association.

Another ancestor, Richard Dowling, was a homeless alcoholic who found God and helped establish the Star of Hope Mission in 1907, one of the city's first ministries to the homeless.

Generations later, some of the family's youngest members, Faith, 13, and Foster, 11, have kept vigil in the John S. Dunn Sr. Burn Center at Memorial Hermann, praying their father gets well soon.

We Are Proud to Have Bill Dowling, a Houston Hero, as our Grand Marshal of the 55th Annual Houston St. Patrick's Parade

 jay